PDA

View Full Version : Finally the shop has room

Jim Burr
02-27-2011, 6:51 PM
Having just moved and not feeling like much of anything for other illness related matters:mad:, a friend of mine got me on the lathe again:D First is a HF from some wood my turning Mentor tossed in my truck. It really did look totally different with the bark on, but this is what came out. I just finished taking the bottom off a minute ago and finishing it, but these pic's show it as it sits. Some nice checking allowed me to "espresso-fill" the small cracks. I really think it added to the whole thing. I felt like a strong piece should come out, so the more angular shape is something I liked. 5x5 with 5 coats of Formby's tung oil.
Next is a first x3. First Claro walnut, first finial (no...I've never done one before) and first at an even 1/8"all around. I know the finial doesn't taper well, so that's a given. There is no finish yet, just sanded to 600. Finial is Fresnoby...my wife's term for cherry colored with a Sharpie in Fresno!! She is so cool!!:cool::D184502184503184500184501 I'm on tung oil kick so I think this one will get the same. C&C encouraged.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

David E Keller
02-27-2011, 7:00 PM
Nicely done, Jim. I like the sharp angle on the sycamore form(just a guess), but I'd prefer the bottom to taper down a bit more for a smaller foot. The finish looks great, and I like the cracks.

The walnut form is nice, but I don't understand how you can keep from putting the oil on it... That's my favorite part of the whole process when I get to see the grain and color 'POP'.:D I think it's a heck of a first go on the finial as well.

Nicely done, sir.

John Keeton
02-27-2011, 8:01 PM
Jim, glad you are back at the lathe, and I certainly hope you are feeling better. More importantly, hope the doctor OK'd this re-entry!!

Nice work on the HF, and I second the sycamore guess! I would bet good money on that one. The "expresso-fill" did add some character to it - good move - and, the sanded finish is excellent. I think I like the Claro form better, and that is going to look really nice with tung oil on it. I am like David, don't know how you wait for that. Congrats on the finial, too. Cherry turns pretty well for finials, though it can get a little brittle.

Harry Robinette
02-27-2011, 8:59 PM
Jim
First I'm glad that your back to the round stuff and boy we can tell your back nice pieces I really like the HF with finial.
Harry

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Jim those are fine looking pieces. Glad to see ya back at the lathe. Hope things are better.

bob svoboda
02-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Nice pieces, Jim. Glad you're back at it. Hope you are feeling better!