PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple SW HF

Michael James
02-27-2011, 6:32 PM
Wood is from the box Donny L was kind enough to send me last June - my 1st green wood! (thanks again Donny) I wanted to wait until I had some confidence I could do better than the kindling box. As you can see it's unfinished, as Im going to add a stick or pedestal, and perhaps a finial as well. Since I haven't done either before, I thought I'd share what I consider a totally awesome chunk of wood in case it doesn't make it to the finish line. I should be ok, but sometimes the universe has a wierd sense of humor. Faux collar is burned with wire to add definition. 4 1/2 x ~ 2 1/2, ~ 1/4" thick

Jim Burr
02-27-2011, 6:40 PM
Ok...fine...I'm not going to post my "junk" since you want to show off with this!!:p:p Really nice form bud, and the beautiful wood helps!!! Can't wait to see what you do for a pedestal...worthy to be sure!! Did you use your Monster to hollow it? Again...great job!!!:cool:

David E Keller
02-27-2011, 6:55 PM
That looks really good, MJ. I assume you're gonna taper that bottom when you get rid of the tenon... Otherwise, the pedestal is gonna look kind of funny:eek::p. About the lid/finial, if you're gonna do it, you need to figure out how you're going to fit the lid. If you want it flush, you'll need to turn a little rebate to accept the lid before you get rid of the tenon.

It's a beautiful piece of wood, and I like where you're headed with this one. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. You can't destroy it now 'cause we're all expecting to see the finished piece... No pressure.;)

Michael Short
02-27-2011, 7:25 PM
That sure has some beautiful spalting in it. Thanks for posting.

Jeff Nicol
02-27-2011, 7:40 PM
MJ, Very nice wood and the shape will work well when finished. I have been getting some done too and cutting some more spalted stuff up. It is hard to put some of the little chunks in the wood stove, but I have to keep the shop warm too!! I spun a chunk of ash today and that was a lot of fun and a little change.

Keep up the good work,

Jeff

Rich Aldrich
02-27-2011, 7:54 PM
Cool looking wood. The shape is nice - you said the bottom wasnt complete, but I missed that on the first read.

dan carter
02-27-2011, 7:55 PM
Amazing the different colonies that worked on your wood created something really visually pleasing to human eye. I suspect I would not have put the two burned rings on it. It sure is an amazing example of spalting.

Donny Lawson
02-27-2011, 8:11 PM
Michael, I'm sure glad you made something like that HF. I love spalted maple and it looks like that one is very nice and shows off the spalting well.
Donny

John Keeton
02-27-2011, 8:12 PM
MJ, this one is on its way to be a winner! Beautiful wood, BTW. I do agree with David on the underside, and unless you overlap the lid, you probably will need a recess for it. Is the wood still wet? If so, then a lid is going to be problematic as the form will warp and the lid will not fit. Since you have taken it out of the chuck, getting it lined back up to turn a recess for a lid may be tricky anyway.

Just some thoughts! But, it sure is a nice looking start, and would look great without a lid/finial, too. I look forward to seeing it finished.

Kathy Marshall
02-27-2011, 8:13 PM
Very nice! That wood is just fantastic! and I like the form, looking forward to the finished product!

Roger Chandler
02-27-2011, 8:56 PM
Wow MJ! That is nice............if you put a pedestal under it, then more adjustments to form on the bottom certainly do seem in order. I look forward to your vision becoming reality, so we can marvel at the imagination and creativity of the turner. ;)

This one has special potential............anxious to see how it ends up!!!

Cathy Schaewe
02-27-2011, 9:00 PM
Wow, what a beautiful piece of wood, and you're doing it justice! Can't wait to see the finished version ...
(see, I'm not "under the radar"!:D;))

Brian McInturff
02-27-2011, 10:22 PM
John brings up a really good point about you having removed it from the chuck and trying to get it aligned back up perfectly to cut the rebate. I think it looks great as is. I think turning a pedestal would look really great, maybe out of Purpleheart. I say that because I just finished a spalted piece I was going to do that with. The purpleheart looks really good with the spalted wood. I really like the burned lines. They give the piece some added dimension. I'm looking forward to the finished piece even if it's just a finishing added. Great Job!!

Leo Van Der Loo
02-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Hope your foot/pedestal will look as good as this Michael, as you made this a very nice form from some awesome good looking wood, well done ;-))

Baxter Smith
02-27-2011, 11:25 PM
There's spalted wood and then there is great spalted wood! This is the latter. Love the zone lines. You have a great shape now. Good luck with however you decide to finish it.

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Michael that is a beautiful piece of wood and HF. Can't wait to see it finished.

bob svoboda
02-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Nice form from a spectacular piece of wood. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Michael - this looks pretty good already - so don't feel like you have to add anything else to make it a winner! Just the same - looking forward to seeing it once finished! Good luck!