PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain Delta's new saws?

Mike Vermeil
01-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Can someone explain the main differences between Delta's new lineup of table saws? I don't exactly understand the differences between the X5 Unisaw, Unisaw, 3hp Cabinet saw, 10" Cabinet saw and Hybrid saw. They appear to all be the traditional Unisaw outfitted with different motors and fences, as well as some different minor options. Have they made changes to their traditional mechanical workings on the cheaper models?

Thanks.

John Shuk
01-21-2005, 11:58 AM
All I know is the Unisaw is supposed to be made in the USA.

Mike Circo
01-21-2005, 1:26 PM
Unisaw and X5 Unisaw are the same. The X5 is a marketing program that adds a longer warrenty, an extra tool (Drill, router, etc) and sometimes some added fluff. This is the classic, US made saw that has been the benchmark for tablesaws for years.

The "Cabinet" saw is Delta's cheaper, Chinese made saw. Their quick response to less expensive competition. NOT a Unisaw. This is a cheaper imitation of a true cabinet saw (trunions mounted to base, 220v motor)

The "Hybrid" is a saw half way between a cabinet saw and a contractor's saw. It has a closed base, motor inside and better dust collection like a Cabinet saw, but has the light weight trunions attached to the saw top like a Contractors saw. Usually these have 110v motors of 1½ to 1 3/4 horsepower. (verses the 3 to 5 hp 220 volt motors on Unisaws)

Mark Carlson
01-21-2005, 9:59 PM
All I know is the Unisaw is supposed to be made in the USA.
I have a friend that just got a X5 Unisaw and the Made in the USA label was not attached. He called Delta and they said they no longer put the USA label on because the motor is made in Brazil.

Jim Andrew
01-22-2005, 7:43 PM
I just talked to Shelly Pope at Delta yesterday, and she said the Unisaw is
still built in America. If you order the X5 promotion there is a coupon for
a free mobile base or another tool of lesser value.