PDA

View Full Version : Andy Hoyt

Karl Laustrup
02-27-2011, 5:32 PM
Just read on Facebook that Andy Hoyt has passed away very suddenly.:( Don't know any other details. The announcement on FB was made by Maine Woodturners.

MOA sir, RIP.

Karl

Michael James
02-27-2011, 5:41 PM
Bummer. That's a big loss to the community.

Steve Schlumpf
02-27-2011, 5:41 PM
Karl,

I just saw that and I am in shock! To say I will miss him is an understatement! My thoughts and prayers are with his family and all of his friends! God Bless you Andy! RIP.

Roland Martin
02-27-2011, 6:04 PM
I certainly offer my condolences also, very shocking news. I went to a Dave Lancasterbowl turning demo @ Maine Woodturners last Saturday, and was hoping to meet Andy there, but didn't happen. This is an extremely sad day for the woodturning community.

Pete Jordan
02-27-2011, 6:20 PM
We will miss you, Andy!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-27-2011, 6:36 PM
My deepest sympathies to Andy's family.

I'm sitting typing this with tears in my eyes.

Andy is the one who instigated my "Bombing" a few years ago. We have talked many times.

Rest in peace my friend......I'll miss your off the cuff humor.......Rest in peace.

Glenn Clabo
02-27-2011, 6:39 PM
This is a real kick in the gut for me. A good man...a good friend...RIP Doc...

I've recently had fun with Andy trying to get my website up and running. When I went to see him a few years ago I brought a cherry burl as a gift. A couple of weeks later...this showed up at our house. I will cherish it forever...

Tim Thiebaut
02-27-2011, 7:03 PM
That is just horrible, I did not know Andy at all but being from Maine myself I kept up with the Maine wood turners website, Andy was very well thought of and will be missed greatly, the family has my condolences.

David E Keller
02-27-2011, 7:15 PM
Terrible news. I never had the pleasure of meeting Andy, but I had become a fan of his wit by reading through old threads. Condolences to his family and friends.

Jim Burr
02-27-2011, 7:18 PM
That's the last thing we needed. God bless him and his family

Jeff Nicol
02-27-2011, 7:23 PM
It is a very sad thing and he will be missed by all. I liked all of his posts and creations, I will have to wait until I get to turners heaven to meet him. May God bless his family and keep his soul safe by his side.

Jeff

Curt Fuller
02-27-2011, 8:17 PM
Definitely sad news for us down here. But if I know Andy, he's already got them laughing up in heaven.

Jeff Moffett
02-27-2011, 8:22 PM
My sincere condolences to Andy's family. He's one of the original "characters" who drew me into the creek several years ago. He was also instrumental in wiping out my savings account by convincing me to go Mayo. I will always remember his humor and his kind gentle approach. RIP, my friend.

John Keeton
02-27-2011, 8:25 PM
By the time I came over to the round side, Andy was not as active, so I did not have a personal relationship with him. However, I have read many threads in which he posted, and he obviously has left a legacy here on the creek! May God bless his family.

Brian Libby
02-27-2011, 8:47 PM
Andy will be missed.
I had stopped by his place many times just to chat and talk shop!
Rest in peace my friend.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
02-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Andy has been a strong part of SMC and he will be deeply missed my sincere condolences to Andy's family and friends, God Bless

Jason Roehl
02-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Sad news, indeed. May comfort and peace find the loved ones he has left behind.

Brian McInturff
02-27-2011, 10:43 PM
That's just horrible news. Andy and I never met face to face but had become good friends over the years. I bought my first "Real" lathe from Andy back in 2004(I think that's the year).It was the Oneway 1018. The craftsman lathe and Shopsmith weren't real lathes after turning on the 1018. Then in 2008 when I had my second back surgery it was Andy who convinced me to hang on to my Stubby and that I'd eventually feel well enough to get back to turning. The man had a way with words. He will truly be missed.

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2011, 11:00 PM
I can say Andy was a good friend. We e-mailed back and forth. He got me in on Ken Fitzgeralds bombing with his first lathe. Andy was a hoot and especially with his moxie. I will miss him. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

John Terefenko
02-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Wow that is a loss for all of us. He was one of the great characters here that always had you laughing when you read his posts. May he rest in peace and condolences go out to his family and friends.

Keith Christopher
02-28-2011, 1:26 AM
A Sad day indeed. I am also sorry to hear about his passing. He will be missed. His family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Very sad news indeed.

Dan Forman
02-28-2011, 3:25 AM
I never met the man or had any two way communication with him, but he surely had a great sense of humor, and one got the impression that he lived life to the fullest. I have missed his presence in the forum over the past couple of years, was just thinking of him a couple of nights ago as I was working through the posts here. I think he brought a lot of joy to this world - a life well lived.

Dan

Keith Outten
02-28-2011, 7:31 AM
Andy Hoyt will always be remembered here for his sense of humor and his talent but I hope that members of this Community will remember how friendly he was more than anything. Always willing to share his expertise and always willing to help a friend in need.

We have once again lost both a friend and a colleague.

Alan Trout
02-28-2011, 8:14 AM
My thoughts an prayers are with his family. Rest in peace Andy.

Alan

Mark Cothren
02-28-2011, 8:56 AM
Andy was a character, that's for sure. 2,500 years from now they'll be doing a special on Discovery about his unexplainably preserved body - only to find it was Moxie that was responsible. It's worth re-reading his old interview from a while back... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?31696-Turner-Interview-Andy-Hoyt

Mike Ramsey
02-28-2011, 9:03 AM
Goodbye Andy, RIP.

Art Mulder
02-28-2011, 9:39 AM
I also pass on my condolences. I don't hang out in the turner's forum at all, but a few years ago there was a charity sale organized by some folks here and through a few circumstances I ended up chatting on the phone with Andy about the auction. He was a gentleman in every sense of the word and I am sad to hear of his sudden passing.

George Heatherly
02-28-2011, 12:05 PM
I only corresponded with Andy briefly via email, but I was impressed with his sense of humor. I see some of his work posted here and I was awed by his turning ability. My prayers are with his family.

Ed Scolforo
02-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Altho I haven't participated in the forum in a few years I must say that Andy was a joy to communicate with. He always made my day. RIP Andy.
Ed Scolforo, San Antonio, TX

Baxter Smith
02-28-2011, 3:30 PM
During my short time here on SMC I never saw Andy post much. But because he was a moderator on the turners forum, I had gone back and read a lot of his earlier threads. Between being from Maine, a timbeframer, and a turner, he was on the list of Creekers I oneday hoped to meet. My condolences to his family and those of you who knew him well.

Brian Effinger
02-28-2011, 9:29 PM
I've never really had the pleasure of talking to Andy, but I sure do appreciate his many posts here. He seemed like quite a character, had a lot of insight and will be missed. My thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

Joe Mioux
02-28-2011, 9:48 PM
Moxie, mayo vs mustard, and ice cream. This is a shock and I think we all agree Andy was a lot fun and very helpful.

Mark Hubl
02-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Sad news, our condolences and prayers to his family and friends.

Travis Stinson
02-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Sad sad news...you could always count on Andy for smile. He definitely left his mark, and will surely be missed. I'm glad I got to meet the man....my thoughts and prayers are with his family.
Godspeed Brother.

Harlan Coverdale
03-01-2011, 3:58 AM
If there's Moxie in heaven he's having one right now. RIP Andy.

Glenn Clabo
03-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Andrew Erskine Hoyt | Visit Guest Book http://www.legacy.com/guestbook/mainetoday-morningsentinel/guestbook.aspx?n=andrew-hoyt&pid=149027308&cid=full

BENTON FALLS -- Andrew Erskine Hoyt, 57, of Benton Falls died unexpectedly of heart failure at his home Saturday, Feb. 26, 2011, leaving his wife, Chrystine, and daughter, Gabrielle.
He was born Dec. 15, 1953, in Mount Kisco, N.Y., and was the beloved son of Alison Erskine Farrar of Lyme, N.H., and Coleman Williams Hoyt of Bridgewater, Vt. He also leaves two brothers, Coleman Williams Hoyt Jr., of Concord, Mass., and Steven Tecumseh Hoyt of South Salem, N.Y., as well as four nieces and nephews.
He was a graduate of John Jay High School in Katonah, N.Y., and attended Franklin Pierce College. He enlisted in the Navy from Alaska, and after winning the highest honor of his basic training battalion in San Diego was granted his wish for medical training. He served as a corpsman with the Marines in Korea and Okinawa and later became a plankowner and the rescue helicopter corpsman of the attack carrier USS Nassau LHA 4. In recent years, he took on the responsibility of organizing the reunions of all former Nassau shipmates and crews. His final Navy service brought him to northern Maine, where he became the medic at the Navy SEAR (Search, Escape, and Rescue) School, which trained Navy and Marine pilots during the cold war and where he met his wife, Chrystine, who also served in that Naval School.
He was later employed by Timberpeg in Claremont, N.H., becoming their West Coast regional sales manager before moving back to Maine. He was a skilled woodworker specializing in building miniature scale models of churches and houses, and a talented designer of computer home pages for many clients.
Private family burial services will be held in the spring.
Condolences may be expressed at www.lawrybrothers.com.
Arrangements are by Lawry Brothers Funeral Home and Cremation Services, 107 Main St., Fairfield; 453-6049 or 800-660-2111.

Dennis Peacock
03-01-2011, 8:37 PM
Andy will be missed. Rest in Peace my friend. Thanks for the many marks you left on SMC with the "bombing" run that was so much fun and yet again so much generosity for all those in the turning community. Prayers for the family and friends.

Keith Christopher
03-01-2011, 11:10 PM
I think Andy said is best in his own words. Take a moment if you knew him or if you want to know more about a good friend and help to anyone.

http://downscaledesigns.com/about.html

his views on life and wood turning.

http://downscaledesigns.com/woodturning.html

He will be missed.

Rob Cunningham
03-02-2011, 1:03 PM
I never had the pleasure of talking with Andy but have learned from reading his posts. He will surely be missed. Prayer sent for his family.

Tim Rinehart
03-04-2011, 8:25 AM
Prayers indeed go out to Andy's family and friends. It's interesting to note that while I had not the pleasure or occasion to contact Andy, I could tell from the few posts and responses in browsing around that he was 'one of the good ones'.
Seeing the response from those who knew him reaffirms that a good one is truly lost from our group, but that he is on to be with other great ones.

Bill Boehme
03-04-2011, 1:38 PM
I am very shocked and saddened to learn about this tragic news. My deepest condolences go out to his family. Fifty-seven years of age seems so young to me now.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Andy face to face, but we did correspond by email a bit. I also used to enjoy his wonderful wit and humor on Sawmill Creek and the AAW forum. He even sent me a couple T-shirts once for "helping" his turning club come up with a logo design. I am not quite sure what I did to help, but with his usual humor, one of the shirts had been used to clean up some paint in his shop. My wife thought that the paint shirt was so nice that she took it from me.

I was just thinking about Andy last night and had not noticed the posting about his passing. I remember the many threads where the subject of Moxie came up. I can't remember the details, but Andy once posted an image of himself wearing one of his bowls like a hat. As I recall, it was a real hit. I thought that his picture bore a remarkable resemblance to a famous painting of a nobleman by one of the old masters (whose name I can't remember) so I felt obligated to post that picture replete with bowl hat and moxie in hand alongside his picture.

185116 185117

I truly miss you.

Don Orr
03-04-2011, 4:19 PM
Sad news for sure. The turning community and SMC have lost a true brother. I had the pleasure of meeting him in person a few years back at a turning event in NH. I can't imagine a nicer, friendlier guy anywhere. One of those guys that when you meet them you feel like you have known them all your life. Certainly a person one would want to be more like.

A Moxie toast to you Andy, and my condolences to his family,

Nancy Laird
03-09-2011, 11:04 PM
There was something in my mind tonight that kept telling me to check in here, and what do I find? Andy has passed away. He was so funny and irreverent, yet a true gentleman. Several years ago, during the on-line auction, I got several private messages from him that were priceless--I wish I had saved them. I managed to win the piece he had put into the auction, and along with the turning, he also sent me a bottle of Moxie. It still sits in my display cabinet, next to the turning, and will remain there for as long as I am alive. I also had some dealings with Andy when I did some laser work for his miniature group, and I so enjoyed my interactions with him. I am stunned, I am sad. My sincerest condolences to his family, for they--and we all--have lost such a good man. Rest in peace, Andy. Wherever you are, we know there's a mayo nearby, along with plenty of Moxie and ice cream!!

Randall Hodge
03-10-2011, 4:16 PM
That's the third person I knew from Maine in the last three years that's left us. I first met Andy on sawmill creek, he's the one that straightened out the difficult log-in for me. After that I had him design and set up my web site. He will be missed.
My condolences to his family.

Brian Weick
03-14-2011, 4:18 PM
It is very sad news hearing this.... I have been absent from SMC for for a long time... and this is a shock. I will never forget his interview that he sent me to fill out.... he just seamed like a real good man with a great sense of humor and very talented http://www.contractortalk.com/images/smilies/notworthy.gif. This is sad news....very sad to say the least.... Rest in peace Andy - you will be severely missed my freind.....

B,