PDA

View Full Version : I got a new lathe need help with tool sharpening

Bo McCorkle
02-27-2011, 4:41 PM
well guys you sent me in the right direction on the lathe i bought a delta 46-460 now im reading a lot of stuff about slow speed grinders to sharpen with and as wondering about different brands of tools

Brian Libby
02-27-2011, 4:59 PM
Good choice
I would go with 8 inch wheels and buy one of the sharpening jigs-several choices ,slight differences!

Roger Wilson
02-27-2011, 5:07 PM
Here's a slow speed grinder:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080939/29437/8in-Slow-Speed-Grinder.aspx

Wolverine grinding jig:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001998/2509/Wolverine-Grinding-Jig.aspx

Bowl gouge etc. jig:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001998/2511/Turners-FingernailSide-Grinding-Jig.aspx

Look around on other woodturning supplies sites for prices but this is the basic stuff.

Videos by Oneway lathe on how to use these jigs:

http://www.oneway.ca/multi-media/wolverine_videos.htm

Jon Nuckles
02-27-2011, 5:08 PM
I've been happy with my Woodcraft slow speed 8" grinder, and it comes with decent white wheels so you don't have to buy wheels right away (like you would if your grinder came with the gray ones). Just got a flyer from Woodcraft and it is $20 off right now. The wolverine sharpening system is also good -- basic system plus the vari-grind accessory for your gouges. You might want to buy some inexpensive tools to get the hang of sharpening before grinding away expensive steel. I bought Bodger tools, which were very cheap from Highland Hardware if I recall. People also recommend the inexpensive line from Penn State Industries, called Benjamin's Best if I recall correctly. If you want good tools right away, get Doug Thompson's from his website. Have fun and say goodbye to all disposable income for awhile!

John Keeton
02-27-2011, 8:22 PM
Bo, some good suggestions on the sharpening systems - Woodcraft slow speed grinder, Wolverine system, with the vari-grind jig. On gouges, Thompson is my pick. But starting out you will need to get the hang of sharpening. Penn State has some very good HSS gouges - Benjamin Best is their "house brand." You can pick up a couple of those. Their other BB tools are about the best buy in HSS. Those will do fine, and you won't feel so bad grinding on them while you learn to sharpen. There will be time later for some Thompson gouges, or your pick of better tools.

David E Keller
02-27-2011, 8:27 PM
Bo, some good suggestions on the sharpening systems - Woodcraft slow speed grinder, Wolverine system, with the vari-grind jig. On gouges, Thompson is my pick. But starting out you will need to get the hang of sharpening. Penn State has some very good HSS gouges - Benjamin Best is their "house brand." You can pick up a couple of those. Their other BB tools are about the best buy in HSS. Those will do fine, and you won't feel so bad grinding on them while you learn to sharpen. There will be time later for some Thompson gouges, or your pick of better tools.

Yep... ditto.

Rich Aldrich
02-27-2011, 9:51 PM
Yep... ditto.

Ditto on the ditto.

JerHall
02-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Congrats on your Delta. I think you will love it. All good advice above. Sharpening is a skill much like turning, only different.

This free video on all aspects of sharpening is hard to beat, especially for the price: http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2008/09/23/podcast-37-turning-tools-sharpen-your-skills-with-sharp-tools/

Most of us wouldn't agree with his recommendation for a 6" grinder, but it would work just fine probably.

There are a lot more excellent free sharpening videos that I think would be of great help to you. Send me a private message if you are interested and I will give them to you.

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2011, 11:21 PM
I agree with the Woodcraft slow speed grinder, wolverine jig with vari-grind and Benjamins Best tools. I have a lot of Thompson tools now but started with the BB from Penn State Industries to learn the sharpening part. I still use most of them today.

bob svoboda
02-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Bernie took the words out of my mouth.

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Bo - only thing I can add to all the good advice so far is to build a stand for your grinder such that you can walk over, freshen up the edge and you don't have to bend over to see what you are doing! I built a stand that places the grinder at chest level and it honestly makes seeing what you are doing easier - not to mention - seriously saving your back!

Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!

Robert Brandt2
03-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Bo - here's an option to learn sharpening: HF has two 8 piece turning tool sets. One is carbon steel. They won't hold an edge very long, but what's "very long?" Important point is that the set of 8 is $20. Almost free sharpening practice!

The other 8 piece set is HSS. Good set. Looks identical to the one Penn State's site - for $10 less.

good luck,
robert

Dan Forman
03-04-2011, 3:35 AM
Unless you do flatwork too, there is no real need for a low speed grinder. The only lathe tools that would be bothered by a high speed grinder would be high carbon steel - but since most lathe tools now are HSS or other variants, a high speed grinder will be fine, and a lot faster if you have to do any serious reshaping. Of course if you have plane irons and chisels to sharpen, get the low speed or one of the variable speed grinders. I have both, but started with flatwork, so got the low speed first.

Dan