PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail chisels

Staffan Hamala
02-27-2011, 4:22 PM
I would need a couple of small dovetail chisels, and I would like to get a recommendation.

Most of my chisels are old chisels I've inherited or bought used. I don't have any small chisels that are good for dovetailing however. It's difficult to get into tight corners of small dovetails.

I need just a few of the smallest sizes (although a whole set wood be nice to have - for the looks at least).

I've found a couple of reasonably priced sets, as linked below.
Ashley Iles:
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/indextool.mvc?prodid=IL-100-30.xx

Pfeil paring chisels:
http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product/730030/Pfeil-Paring-Chisels-6-piece-set/detail.jsf

What do you think? Have you used those?

Another choice would be Lie-Nielsen I guess, but then I'd only afford a few.

Tony Shea
02-27-2011, 4:42 PM
I would think that the paring chisels are not what your looking for. It is nice to have maybe one or two paring chisels in sizes such as 1/2" and 3/4" but that's probably all you'll need. For chopping waste out in dovetails the first set of chisels you posted maybe a good choice. I don't have experience with them personally but have heard decent things about Ashley Iles. Another good option to look at are Iyoroi Blue Steel Cabinet makers chisels. They are tough as nails (probably tougher) and have a triangular shape for getting into tight spaces in dovetails. I have the 3mm and 6mm of those and use them a lot. They hold an edge for what seems like forever. But if you're willing to spend a little extra then I can highly reccomend LN bench chisels. I have close to a full set of these and couldn't be happier. They are well worth the investment.

Dave Beauchesne
02-27-2011, 5:11 PM
Staffan:

Tony makes great suggestions - Personally I have the LN set, but ordered the 3/16'' size - it is my go to size when doing paring chores on dovetails.

Try to test drive some different makes before you pull the trigger - see if there are other Creekers who would take you up on a plea for help ??

Good luck;

Dave Beauchesne

Glen J. Peterson
02-27-2011, 6:16 PM
I have the LN chisels as well as a set of Japanese chisels. A woodworker I know has been unhappy with his LN's because they don't keep the edge. He bought a set of the Phiel above and loves them. I was surprised, he was really raving about the quality and particularly their ability to hold an edge.

I've been making a trio of drawers this weekend. The backs have through dovetails and the fronts have half blind. I use 2 chisels on the throughs, a 3/4" and a 3/16". Just the regular LN's. On the half blinds I used a shop made skew chisels as well. They were very easy to make. I simply took a pair of older socket chisels and cut the ends of at about 20 degrees with an angle grinder. I then ground and honed an edge, one is left hand, and one is right. Today was the first time I used the skews and they worked great.

You don't need to buy an entire set of chisels for dovetails. Good luck
Glen

Jonathan McCullough
02-27-2011, 6:25 PM
The Ashley Iles dovetail chisels are very nice. Alternatively the butt chisels are also good for dovetailing, since they're shorter. The beveled sides on the butt chisels are also ground right down almost to the edge so you don't bruise the corners. The steel is just excellent and they're a good value too.

Robert Culver
02-27-2011, 6:25 PM
I have a set of the A/I MK2 chisels and I like them alot I just resenty picked up a Lie-Nielson and I can se why people like them so much they have a really great feel to them It balences out really well I imagine i will work on getting a full set of them togather over time. Ihave good chisles so I can just hold out for good deals i dont see them ofter so It could take a long time.
I do regret the A/I purchace though there very nice.

bob blakeborough
02-27-2011, 8:16 PM
If you are willing to consider buying just a few premium Dovetail Paring chisels, definitely consider Blue Spruce... Finished to a very hi degree, they work amazingly well. I have the set of 4 and do not regret it at all. The concave bevelled edges get into those tight corners like nothing else! Granted they are not for bashing on like a socket style chisel is, but as specific paring chisels they are absolutely AWESOME!!!

All that as well as the fact that Dave Jeske is a truely great guy to give your business to...

http://www.bluesprucetoolworks.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=DTCH&keywords=all

Andrae Covington
02-27-2011, 8:16 PM
The Ashley Iles dovetail chisels are very nice. Alternatively the butt chisels are also good for dovetailing, since they're shorter. The beveled sides on the butt chisels are also ground right down almost to the edge so you don't bruise the corners. The steel is just excellent and they're a good value too.

I have a mix of the Ashley Iles Mk2 and Roundback chisels in small sizes... 1/8, 1/4, 3/8. I think Joel at TFFW has a slight preference for the roundbacks. I haven't really put those to work yet so I'm not sure, but for now they seem about the same as the Mk2 I have. If you use a honing guide that clamps top and bottom, like the LV MkII (Mk2, MkII, how confusing can this get?), it won't hold the roundback chisels as securely since the top bar is only touching along a line. The 1/8 is such a teeny thing I have to freehand it anyway.

Tony Joyce
02-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Since you say small chisels, have a look at these.
Czeck Edge: http://czeckedge.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16

I bought a set of four a few months back. I've been very happy with them. They are comfortable and easy to control. Overall length is 6".

Adam Cormier
02-27-2011, 11:09 PM
I have the Lee Valley Japanese Dovetail chisels and they work very well. I really like the feel of them compared to other chisels I have used. They are however, the first set of japanese dovetail chisels I've used.

Staffan Hamala
02-28-2011, 1:13 AM
Thanks for all replies!!

I think you've convinced me to go for a few premium chisels rather than a complete set. As it's just dovetails with narrow tails that is causing me trouble, I'll pick two or three of the smallest ones (1/4, 1/8 and maybe 3/16).

I see the japanese chisels will also be affordable if I plan on buying just a couple of them.

You've given me something to think about! :-)

Kent A Bathurst
02-28-2011, 7:10 AM
...............I plan on buying just a couple of them.............

The best-laid plans of mice & men.........

You have been warned.

Trevor Walsh
02-28-2011, 9:42 AM
I like the Ashley Isles MK2 3/8 for dovetailing work, the other bit contender is a 1/4" witherby BEC. I cut on the skew to get into corners. A 1/4" AI dovetail chisel is next on my list to try out.