PDA

View Full Version : Siberian Elm plate

Leo Van Der Loo
02-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Last one to post for a while, till all is moved to the new place and I can turn again I'm afraid :)

Just over 9" X ¾" and ⅛" thick, finished with Polymerized Tung Oil.

All comments appreciated :D

184426 184425

Curt Fuller
02-27-2011, 1:15 PM
Beautiful plate Leo. Siberian Elm is so abundant around here I don't know why I don't take advantage of it more often.

I really enjoyed looking at your gallery. That's a very impressive lathe setup. When all we see are the photos on our monitors we don't get the full perspective of some things. All of your work is beautiful.

BTW, How was Cuba?

Steve Schlumpf
02-27-2011, 2:17 PM
Very pretty plate Leo! Love the rich grain!

I was wondering how your trip went also! Your avatar doesn't look like you got much of a tan! Hope your move goes well!

Dennis Ford
02-27-2011, 2:23 PM
Very nice plate, you always make the simple shapes look so good.

Dan Forman
02-27-2011, 2:25 PM
Nice job on the plate, looks good in elm. How deep is your blank when you start something like this?

Dan

David E Keller
02-27-2011, 3:10 PM
Nicely done, Leo. I hope the move is quick and painless although I doubt it will be either of those things.

Jon McElwain
02-27-2011, 4:03 PM
That is a great looking plate. Beautiful and well proportioned base for use. I was studying ancient civilizations in my history class here a few weeks ago and there was mention of an emperor or king being buried with his plate, cup and bowl (you know, so he would have them in the afterlife). The way I read it made me thing that he really just had one main set that he used all the time. I don't think they had Kitchen Kaboodle back then, so it was probably more common to have one dish per person than to have cupboards full of unused dishes like most of use have! All that to say, I wouldn't mind having one just like that to eat on for a while!

John Keeton
02-27-2011, 4:06 PM
Nice work, Leo. Beautiful color and grain in the elm. Hope the move goes well!

Jim Burr
02-27-2011, 7:25 PM
Darn it Leo...the bar for platters/plates is so high now!!! Great finish...hope it wasn't to cold in Siberia!

Jeff Nicol
02-27-2011, 7:35 PM
Leo, Nice plate, since I have tons of this stuff I will have to get at turning some of it! I like the color and grain of the wood and is quite different from the american elm.

Great finish too,

Jeff

dan carter
02-27-2011, 7:59 PM
Nice plate. You know how people can tell a woodworker has moved in? His shop is set up and his bar is set. Then the other details work themselves out for themselves. Good luck on your move.

Ron Stadler
02-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Beautiful plate Leo, elm is really a gorgeous wood.

Sid Matheny
02-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Great shape, wood and finsh! Well done.

Sid

Richard Madden
02-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Great job, Leo, and a beautiful piece of wood. Thanks for showing and good luck with the move.

Michael James
02-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Leo, as always that's beautiful. Good luck on a speedy and safe move.
Question: Is there any yellow sapwood on that tree? We have what is called chinese elm here, but the wood does NOT look like that. Im guessing they are 2 (or more) different variaties.

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2011, 11:12 PM
That is really nice Leo. We have a ton of elm here and don't get enough of it. How was the trip Leo??? Hope the move goes quickly and painlessly.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Beautiful plate Leo. Siberian Elm is so abundant around here I don't know why I don't take advantage of it more often.

I really enjoyed looking at your gallery. That's a very impressive lathe setup. When all we see are the photos on our monitors we don't get the full perspective of some things. All of your work is beautiful.

BTW, How was Cuba?

Thanks Curt, yes a gallery isn't the perfect way of showing our turnings, it also take a bunch of time that I'd rather spend on turning or other activities, but it give at least some idea of what the pieces look like.
Oh enjoyed Cuba, I do like the Cuban people, and the weather was a few shades better than in Canada that's for sure ;-)).

Very pretty plate Leo! Love the rich grain!

I was wondering how your trip went also! Your avatar doesn't look like you got much of a tan! Hope your move goes well!

Thanks Steve, I like Siberian Elm, not many issues with it, a bit smelly when wet but not too bad, sapwood can be a little stringy when still green and only an issue when finish turning while green.
I like the warm weather and the sun, as I can sit in the shade......, not much of a beachbum or going for a tan, just relaxing instead of shoveling/blowing snow, and spending time with LOML and some friends :-)

Very nice plate, you always make the simple shapes look so good.

Thanks Dennis :-))

Nice job on the plate, looks good in elm. How deep is your blank when you start something like this?

Dan

Thank you Dan, IIRC this was a piece that was more or less dry, just a cut-off I think from a larger piece, probably wasn't much thicker than a inch and a half to start off with and just a rough chain-sawn piece.

That is a great looking plate. Beautiful and well proportioned base for use. I was studying ancient civilizations in my history class here a few weeks ago and there was mention of an emperor or king being buried with his plate, cup and bowl (you know, so he would have them in the afterlife). The way I read it made me thing that he really just had one main set that he used all the time. I don't think they had Kitchen Kaboodle back then, so it was probably more common to have one dish per person than to have cupboards full of unused dishes like most of use have! All that to say, I wouldn't mind having one just like that to eat on for a while!

Thanks Jon, Emperor or King with just a wooden plate, probably no house or cupboards either, then again maybe his favorite meal was always served on a wooden plate, and so it would be in the afterlife, maybe ??

Nice work, Leo. Beautiful color and grain in the elm. Hope the move goes well!

Thanks John, I hope so to, but hope it will be the last one I have to do ;-)

Rick Markham
02-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Great looking plate Leo! I too enjoyed looking at your gallery. You have quite a body of work represented there! I especially love the photos of all the rough turned bowls waiting their turn in line.

Baxter Smith
02-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Great color and grain in a very nice shape. Good luck with your move. Hope you post some pictures of moving that lathe!:D

Leo Van Der Loo
02-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Missed answering you David, thanks for your comment, I think you are right, having to discard things one has spend hard earned money for isn't going off too easy I find, however we will get over it and be the better for it I hope/assume :-)).

Leo Van Der Loo
02-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Darn it Leo...the bar for platters/plates is so high now!!! Great finish...hope it wasn't to cold in Siberia!

Thanks Jim, it's just fun Jim, do try some, you'll have fun and it's good practice, some do become fancy firewood ;^-)), never happens here, ya right ;-)))

Leo, Nice plate, since I have tons of this stuff I will have to get at turning some of it! I like the color and grain of the wood and is quite different from the american elm.

Great finish too,

Jeff

Thanks Jef :-)), I do like turning it Jeff, yes it smells a bit when wet, but it looks good and dries just fine, and yes I do agree with it looking better than White Elm, the only one that is maybe nicer is Rock Elm, and it is pretty scarce around here, and it will warp about as bad as Beech or Hickory, but it sure is nice when stable and finished ;-))

Nice plate. You know how people can tell a woodworker has moved in? His shop is set up and his bar is set. Then the other details work themselves out for themselves. Good luck on your move.

Thanks Dan, I hope you are right, heard from my DIL that the neighbor across the road does woodworking and is all excited for me to move into the house, maybe he has a bar set all up already ;-))))))

Beautiful plate Leo, elm is really a gorgeous wood.

Thanks Ron, yup there's worse ;-))

Great shape, wood and finsh! Well done.

Sid

Thank you for commenting Sid ;-))

Great job, Leo, and a beautiful piece of wood. Thanks for showing and good luck with the move.

Thanks Richard, I'll miss the turning I think.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Leo, as always that's beautiful. Good luck on a speedy and safe move.
Question: Is there any yellow sapwood on that tree? We have what is called chinese elm here, but the wood does NOT look like that. Im guessing they are 2 (or more) different variaties.

Thanks Michael, The sapwood is more a white color without any finish on it here's a picture, the Siberian Elm is very often called a Chinese Elm, but the Chinese Elm looks quite different, you would not confuse the two if you do know, also the Chinese Elm is only able to grow in a fairly restricted area in the US (where it is warm and damp year round) , I will add 2 pictures here from the bark of the Siberian Elm and also the Chinese Elm as well, HTH :-))

Rough turned Siberian Elm without a finish

Chines Elm bark and Siberian Elm bark
184571 184569

That is really nice Leo. We have a ton of elm here and don't get enough of it. How was the trip Leo??? Hope the move goes

Thanks Bernie, the Siberian Elm isn't affected by the Elm disease and so while the other species disappear it is this Siberian Elm that stays and can often multiply fast to the point it becomes a nuisance tree.
We did have a very nice trip/time-out from winter, now to get all things organized without too much trouble and moved, I don't expect it to go quickly and painlessly though, but we will get past it ;-))

Great looking plate Leo! I too enjoyed looking at your gallery. You have quite a body of work represented there! I especially love the photos of all the rough turned bowls waiting their turn in line.

Thanks Rick, there certainly are quite a number of them, and a whole bunch more between the house and the shop, maybe I'll be able to count them while I pack them for the move, I wonder myself how many there actually are :-)

Great color and grain in a very nice shape. Good luck with your move. Hope you post some pictures of moving that lathe!:D

Thanks Baxter :-))
Oh don't make me think of that part Baxter, I do have to dismantle it into pieces, as it is just too heavy to move as is even without the stand, but like I have said before, we'll get over past or through it and then never again :-)))

charlie knighton
02-28-2011, 9:24 AM
very nice, Leo

Leo Van Der Loo
02-28-2011, 4:41 PM
Thanks for commenting Charlie :D