PDA

View Full Version : The #51 Shooting Plane: Lie-Nielsen and Stanley

Derek Cohen
02-27-2011, 12:13 PM
A review of the Lie-Nielsen #51 shooting board for your pleasure.

inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/LN51ShootingPlane.html

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/LN51ShootingPlane_html_6ed0a945.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Greg Wease
02-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Way to go, Derek. I used to be satisfied with my LN62 for shooting--now look what you have done to me!

Seriously, please keep these awesome reviews coming.

Jim Koepke
02-27-2011, 1:03 PM
Derek,

Thanks for the great review.

My curiosity wonders if the difference in the mass causing the Stanley to "die in the cut" could be attributed to the mass of the frog. It seems the smaller frog on the Stanley could allow some blade vibration that would be dampened by the extra mass of all the parts, frog, blade & cap iron on the Lie-Nielsen.

The only thing to not like about your review, now I will want to sell off a bunch of tools to be able to afford one of these.

jtk

Adam Cormier
02-27-2011, 1:06 PM
That's a nice looking tool there. Great review, thanks for sharing.

Zach England
02-27-2011, 1:20 PM
...must resist...must resist...

Frank Drew
02-27-2011, 1:30 PM
Excellent review and pictures, Derek, thanks for posting them.

Jim Paulson
02-27-2011, 5:27 PM
Derek,
Thanks for the review. Can you offer some information on the sizes of stock that you can dress edges and ends? It appears a bit limited and specialized to invest in these tools.

Jim

Pat Zabrocki
02-27-2011, 6:59 PM
Perfect timeing Derek, mine arrived last Thursday!
cheers
Pat

Andrew Pitonyak
02-28-2011, 12:43 AM
So is the No. 51 (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=1-51) similar in ability to the LN Iron Miter plane (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=9)? The planes look like they are both designed to do exactly the same thing (ignoring things like compatibility with the Stanley 52 chute board).

I just obtained one of the Iron Miter planes, and I was very impressed on how well it worked compared to using my other planes on the side.

Finally, Derek, I appreciate your reviews and links.

Andrew Gibson
02-28-2011, 10:17 AM
I had a chance to play with all the LN tools a few weeks ago at one of their events. The 2 biggest thing going for the 51 over the other planes in the LN line are its weight and it's skewed iron.

I also asked when the 52 to match will be coming out, and the answer I got was, it will be released when it's done. Basically saying we are not going to rush through and potentially make mistakes.

Chuck Saunders
03-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I will definitely check this out when Lie-Nielsen has their show in Kansas City this Friday and Saturday. And I was going to be good this year, oh well.

george wilson
03-01-2011, 11:00 AM
I have the miter plane,and think it would work fine,unless you want to spend $500.00 on the new one. I ought to make one for fun. I have a cast iron parallel,which is a cast iron rectangular tube about 2" X 3",and about 14" long. It is hollow,with walls about 3/8" thick. It would make this plane sans the ribs,but would be imminently rigid enough as I could leave it a lot thicker than the LN. Thing is,I'd also be compelled to make the metal schute board that goes with it. I really don't need such a rig,though,being mostly interested in guitar making,not furniture.

We had a fine condition original Stanley outfit at Wmsbg. I wanted to use it,but the board had warped,and Jay Gaynor wouldn't let me take a skim cut to true it back up,so it was useless as is. So,it still sits there.