PDA

View Full Version : Video Projector for Basement

Peter Elliott
02-27-2011, 9:53 AM
Going through the tons of info on Video Projectors for a basement.

I have the chance to prewire for the projector, 5.1 surround sound.

Anyone do the same and suggest a model they liked?

Only have 1 small window, so light is not an issue
Can prob do up to a 12' screen.

Budget around $1k..

Like computers, a lot of changes and models probably every 6 months. So I not sure if some a few years old is going to help? I could be wrong (tell me so too!).

Thanks
Peter

ps. I did do a search and only thing came up was the 6page thread on surround sound systems.

Tim Morton
02-27-2011, 11:09 AM
check AVS yet? i would guess there is a ton of threads to search there...

Peter Elliott
02-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Hey Tim, yep and OMG my head hurts.. just looking for a fellow woodworker point of view..

Thanks
Peter

Tim Morton
02-27-2011, 3:54 PM
i have been looking for a new subwoofer project...and my head hurts too...

just saw this "deal of the day"...

http://dealmac.com/Sony-LCD-Home-Theater-Projector-for-420-free-shipping/439554.html

Peter Elliott
02-27-2011, 6:06 PM
Thanks Tim, man I was ready to pounce but the reviews are so so.. I guess I am hoping to find a high end model on sale at my budget. I think 2 HDMI are min. for tv input and aux input. (computer). Hopefully get the highest picture for what I can afford. But weeding all this info is mind blowing.. I rather spec a table saw...

Tim Morton
02-28-2011, 5:49 AM
yeah thats ussually the case with those deals of the day stuff. I am not a projector guy, but i checked with the guy who calibrated my samsung DLP. He was not sure about cost, but she suggested Runco asa brand, and then something called "autoscope" as a technology. He then suggested staying at 100" for a screen size in order to save lamps. He said it takes a LOT of lamp to fill 120"....

Hope this helps....

Peter Elliott
02-28-2011, 9:36 AM
that helps tim.. I think 100" is fine for what I am doing.. I was going to use the paint and box out the screen area with wood. Make it more defined.. You bring up another good point. Projector guy.. I assume its worth them coming in a calibrating it?