PDA

View Full Version : New to me Unisaw!!

Matt Roth
02-27-2011, 9:07 AM
Over the weekend, I have upgraded the old Delta contractor saw; probably didn't need to, but I couldn't pass this one up. I'm not sure if this is gloat worthy, but I'm thinking it may be pretty close.

It's a 1975, same model year as me, Unisaw, model 34-466. It's a single phase, 220v 1.5HP. My contractor saw was also 220 1.5HP, but this seems like it's putting quite a bit more power to the blade. It needed a few minor tweeks and a good cleaning, but the seller provided me with the parts required to make the fixes. The arbor threads were pretty stripped, so I installed a new arbor (included) and changed the bearings (also included) while I had it apart. The castings, gears, etc. were in perfect condition. I still need to install a mag switch; I have it on a toggle for now, just to hear it purr. The seller also included an extra front and rear trunnion brackets and an extra cast iron extension; not sure what to do with these for now. This saw also included a 54" Beiseimer Fence, which is already on the contractor saw which will soon be up for sale. I like my old Unifence, which is now mated to the Unisaw. Thanks for the help in my previous thread asking for help learning more about this saw. It's now going to live out it's life in my shop!

Chris Rosenberger
02-27-2011, 10:31 AM
You got a nice saw Matt. Have fun with it.

Matt Roth
02-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks, like that Unifence rail, Chris?

Chris Rosenberger
02-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks, like that Unifence rail, Chris?

I missed that Matt.:o:o:o

Neil Brooks
02-27-2011, 11:20 AM
It's a regal thing.

A thing of beauty.

As one of those unfortunate souls who does NOT have a Uni .... I'm kinda' envious.

Nice score !

Charles Lent
02-27-2011, 9:20 PM
I think this is a definite gloat, especially seeing as how you almost got two Unisaws worth of parts in the deal. That's a nice Unisaw, and now that it has a new arbor and bearings it'll likely last longer than you will. You won't regret getting it. I too, bought a used Unisaw, a 1984 model several years ago. I replaced the belts and bearings when I first got it, and it runs perfectly. I'm sure it's the last saw that I will ever want or need. I too like the Unifence, but bought a Uni-T-Fence extrusion from Peachtree Woodworking www.ptree.com and now use either the original fence extrusion or the Uni-T-Fence extrusion depending on what type of cut I am making. The low/high ability of the original fence is great, but it isn't easy to attach feather boards or fixtures. The Uni-T-Fence extrusion solves this, as it has T slots on the side and top, plus a replaceable HDPE insert to prevent blade damage and also reduce the friction between the fence and the stock.

You also have a bunch of valuable spare parts. Once you are convinced that you won't need them in your lifetime, they will bring in some needed cash for even more new toys. I'm looking for a table extension, so please keep me in mind if you decide to sell one.

Charley