PDA

View Full Version : Couple of saws I inherited :)

john davey
02-27-2011, 1:46 AM
OK, I have my Grandfathers/Fathers old saw. My dad never used it and it sat in the garage for a good 30 years while he owned it. Before that my Grandfather did use it and I believe he purchased it new in the late 40's or 50's. The teeth look good (as in they are all there and can be jointed/sharpened) but it has a bow. When holding it out at arms length and sighting down the blade it bows about 3/8 of an inch. First question is a bow repairable. I believe it is but have no idea how to. Secondly I think this is a no 23 and I think it is a late model one. It is 7PPI CC. So not retiring off of it but since it has spent it's whole life in the family it is special to me.

Here are a few pics:

The second saw was my brothers. It seems to have no markings on the handle and the medallion says Warranted Superior. I only really grabbed it because it will make a good sharpening practice saw and I don't have a 20" saw. There are a few kinks in the blade but again small and it is straighter that the other one so I did not bother with another horrible pic showing that. This one has 9PPI CC. There is the slightest hint of an etch on this one so I will take the cleaning precautions to see if I can save it. Anyone know what it is? Some pics:

thanks for looking, John...

Jonathan McCullough
02-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Hey John, that first one does look like a D-23, a common saw of good quality. The D-42 Victory saws are supposed to have a similar appearance but I haven't seen one of those to compare closely. If you clean it off, the etch will let you know. A bow in the saw plate is natural, especially after sitting idle, perhaps leaned up against something, for decades. After you clean a saw plate up, you can bend it in the opposite direction of the bow, about like this guy:
The detachable collar and tie are optional.

The other saw looks like an inexpensive jobber's saw that you see around a lot. In my experience they're usually not taper ground. The first saw I cleaned and sharpened was a lot like that--it's a good saw to learn on, and when you're done you can use it, lend it to a neighbor, keep it in a portable toolbox, whatever. Kinks are harder to get out than bows however. If they're really noticeable, they'll probably affect how or whether the saw works.