PDA

View Full Version : Walnut end table, Donated to fundraising auction

Bret Duffin
02-27-2011, 1:03 AM
I built this little table on a whim and then donated it to a worthy cause. It brought $800 at the auction. I was hoping it would bring more but I'm OK with it.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb414/DuffinWoodworking/Custom%20Handmade%20Furniture/P1210639.jpg

Bret

Dave MacArthur
02-27-2011, 2:49 AM
That's a great looking table. I love the contrasting spline miters, and the top inlay is just fantastic.
Wondering how you shaped the curved sides of the walnut main body, two passes on a shaper?

John Grossi
02-27-2011, 6:16 AM
Bret, great job on that table. Thanks to you, whatever the cause was is now $800.00 richer. If you get some spare time, could you give an overview of the inlay process. Thanks

gary Zimmel
02-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Beautiful job on the table Bret. That inlay on the top is first class.

Bret Duffin
02-27-2011, 10:53 AM
The curved sides were formed by first making a coopered tube or cylinder, about 8"d x 24"l 16 segments, and then turning it on the lathe, then ripped into quarters.

Top has a substrate of 1/2" Baltic Birch rabbeted to fit into a slot in the outer frame leaving the subtop down about 3/16". The inlay is simply filling in the recess with pieces of wood in whatever design you choose.

There is a drawer that didn't show in the first photo.

Bret

Allan Ferguson
02-27-2011, 11:10 AM
wonderful table design and workmanship. Welcome.

Ben Arnott
02-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Hey Bret, $800 is a steal for this piece... Its worth a whole lot more, but nonetheless, that's a great contribution and admirable donation. Great to see you on SMC! I look forward to your next work.

Ben

Adam Cormier
02-27-2011, 1:09 PM
Great craftsmanship and kudos to you for donating it to a cause

gary Zimmel
02-27-2011, 1:22 PM
Thanks for the extra pic of the drawer Bret. That hand cut curved dovetail adds that final touch. Well done..

Pat Barry
02-28-2011, 1:00 PM
That is a stunning piece of work. I can't even begin to imagine how much work you invested in that piece but for $800 it was a real bargain. The finish is nice, the details (splines, wood choice, inlay, dovetails, curved sides and drawer front). My wife took one look and she loved it - I had to let her down by telling her there is no way I could replicate it. Congratulations.

Jeff Monson
02-28-2011, 4:45 PM
Brett I'd have to say someone got a real bargain! That is a stunning piece, the contrasting wood and splines look great.

Do you have any photos of the process to create the sides? I understand the basic concept but am curious on how you
cut the cylinder.

Again, that is a great piece.

Bret Duffin
02-28-2011, 8:22 PM
I put a retail value of about $1200 on the little table. At auction things are only worth what they sell for. As was pointed out previously, $1800 is now going to a good cause.

The photo shows a coopered cylinder similar to the one I used for the little table, after I'd turned the outside smooth on the lathe. Then I just lay it on the tablesaw and clamp a straight board to the side of the tube at 90* from the table to have something to run against the saw fence when ripping. Or, if it's short enough, I just rip them using the sliding sled.

Bret

Mark Valsi
02-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Love those dovetails !

Jason Tuinstra
02-28-2011, 11:17 PM
A lot of skill and labor went into this one, and it truly shows. Between the contrasting wood and the beautiful joinery, it's a really lovely piece.

Michelle Rich
03-01-2011, 7:42 AM
Astounding piece, whether it was 800 or 1800...The work is first rate, and the table, very unique in design. it's a beauty.

Bobby O'Neal
03-02-2011, 9:31 PM
Very nice.

Carl Babel
03-03-2011, 7:05 PM
Brett, I hadn't really had a big desire to get a lathe before, but you just changed all that with one post: those quartered coopered cylinders are AWESOME!

Of course, if I am ever able to get anything nearly as nice as what you have made, it will surely be 5 years or more from now, so no big hurry :D

Joseph D'Orazio
03-03-2011, 8:21 PM
You should call the police. They stole that table. Thats beautiful work and I sure hope I get there someday.

Larry Edgerton
03-05-2011, 9:10 AM
I have built and donated pieces a few times, and it is always a disappointment what they go for. My last one was a piece I built to benifit the local library. They were doing a raffle. I asked them to sell the tickets for $5 each. The friends of the library thought that was too much and sold them for a dollar. They were all proud that they brought in $800ish, for a piece that would have sold for $2400.

I just donate $$$ now.......

I love that table, shows a lot of craftsmanship.