PDA

View Full Version : Compressor Maintenance Question

Greg Scull
02-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Yesterday I posted in the WorkShops forum asking some questions about how to wire up my new to me compressor.

Chip in that thread recommend that I replace the oil in the pump. Being completely oblivious to this .... I figured I would take some pictures and ask here.

Normally I would refer to the manual but this CL compressor is more of a frankenpressor. the guy I got it from put the pump and motor from and old Craftsman on a new ( 20 yrs ago) tank to add capacity.

I really have no idea what model # it was before, or how to maintain it now. But it was 3x the size (physically) of my little red 40 year old Craftsman 3/4 horse single pump unit, so I figured it was worth the upgrade.

Anyone had a compressor with a pump that looked like this?

How do I do the "Oil Change" on it?
I'm assuming that the two bolts pictured are involved?

Anything else I should consider?

Due to its age I was a little worried about rust inside the tank but when I got it home I put a PVC cap under the drain at the bottom and it dripped clear water. Much clearer than my old one which was clearly rusty water.

Thanks!

Jim Davenport
02-27-2011, 2:46 AM
The pump looks like my old Craftsman, made by Campbell-Hausfield.
to change the oil, run the compressor so that the oil will be warm. Shut off and unplug the unit. If you look at the first picture, the drain plug is the one on the side. On mine I installed a 1/4" nipple long enough to clear the base, and a coupling, so I could catch the oil without in running all over everything.
To fill it remove the other plug, and fill it with a "compressor oil" until the oil level is up to the threads in the hole. Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Northern tool, Sears, and most other big stores carry oil for compressors.

Dave Wagner
02-27-2011, 7:13 AM
Yes, the little Square Head bolt on the bottom in the first and third pics. Get an extension piece of pipe (Nipple and cap) to make it easier the next time.

Jerome Stanek
02-27-2011, 7:36 AM
That looks like a speed air pump that was used on a lot of compressors. I have a dayton with a pump like that.

Rick Lizek
02-27-2011, 5:01 PM
As an alternative you can use 30 wt non-detergent oil instead of air compressor oil. Cheaper and available in any auto supply store.