PDA

View Full Version : Painting Steel

Michael Simpson Virgina
02-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Ok I have a few of my prototype carrage rebuilt into what will be permenant. What is the best way to paint them. What are my choices. I dont have a sand blaster.

I was thinking of hitting them with stell wool then some rustolium primer then my final color. Unfortunatly I cant get custom colors in oil based enamal. Is there any way to get apply the final coat with water base paint so I can get a custom color?

Mike Heidrick
02-27-2011, 12:17 AM
Sounds like you are wanting a custom color but on my base today it got a wire cup brush/grinder treratment, wipe down with acetone, and sprayed with Rustoleum hammered black - no primer needed.

Michael Simpson Virgina
02-27-2011, 12:33 AM
I just did a little research and here is what I found.

1. Clean the bare metal.
2. Sand if nessary to smooth scratched or dents (not needed in my case as I want it rough)
3. Appy suitible metal primer. Light primer for lighter colors and grey for darker colors.
4. Sand to 220 grit
5. Apply 100% acylic paint.
6. repeat steps 4 and 5 as nessary.

I have alot more choices for colors if I go with acrylic but I dont think I can get custom colors. In the other hand may be able to get close to the color I want. I can also mix it my self. The downside is that acrylic paint dries ultra fast. Its kind if like working with shelac.

I would also like to paint the zinc bolts. Will metal primer stick to these? What about that yellow galv metal?

Mike Heidrick
02-27-2011, 2:11 AM
It it was my machine I would get it running and get cutting. Your baby though.

Michael Simpson Virgina
02-27-2011, 4:04 AM
I hear ya. I had the whole machine working in the prototpe mode. In reality I just want to start playing with paint and colors. Even after the main machine is complete I am going to tear it down anyway so I can document the build and take lots of pics. Thats the time to paint it.

Wil Lambert
02-27-2011, 7:52 AM
Have you ever thought about having it powder coated? Lately I have been having steel powder coated over paint. The overall cost/ time is less and the finish is superior. I did some shelving brackets for a client. It cost me more for the paint than it did to have the set powdered.

Scott Shepherd
02-27-2011, 8:29 AM
Why is it that you keep saying you can't get custom colors in various paints, oil, acrylic, etc?

I get custom colors in just about all types of paint all the time. Go to an automotive paint supply company and you can get good, solid advice on painting metal, and get all the custom colors you'll ever want. The paint will dry hard as a rock too.

Joe Pfeifer
02-27-2011, 8:51 AM
Sherwin Williams DTM (Direct To Metal) Acrylic is a professional grade paint for metal. They can make it any color.

Michael Simpson Virgina
02-27-2011, 4:33 PM
Looks like I need to take a trip to a Sherwin Williams store. Thanks. I had been judging what kind of custom paint is available by whats offered at HomeDepot.

Mike Heidrick
02-28-2011, 1:40 AM
In honor of this thread I painted my controller box for Michael Simpson Virginia. Well that and it was pretty worn dull machine grey before.

After
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/Cast%20CNC/P2283847.jpg

Before
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/CNC%20Router%20Build/c5.jpg

Wes Grass
02-28-2011, 3:00 AM
Over bare steel, start with 'Metal Prep'. Should be available at a decent hardware or paint store. Puts a phosphate coating on the steel for a paint base. Plus side is it makes the surface surprisingly rust resistant so it can sit awhile if you can't get the paint on it right away.