PDA

View Full Version : Turned Box with a stained glass lid

Greg Just
02-26-2011, 9:31 PM
Long before I started turning, I did a lot of stained glass work. For a long time I have wanted to combine the two and recently I did. While neither to box nor the lid are very fancy, it is my first try at creating a stained glass piece in a long time. The box is made from mullberry from Creeker Doug Swanson. I roughed out some green maple bowls today and plan to make lidded boxes out of them when they have dried.

Roger Chandler
02-26-2011, 9:46 PM
Great stuff there Greg! I like the mixed medium, and stained glass work takes a lot of skill and patience! I have watched some others do restorations on the windows of churches and boy it is a work of art indeed. That combination might bring you a lot of sales if you were to pursue it!

Steve Schlumpf
02-26-2011, 10:04 PM
That's a pretty cool idea! The stained glass works well as a lid! Looking forward to seeing more of these! Nice work!

Baxter Smith
02-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Very nice. That will make a great way to dress up some of your work!

Ron Bontz
02-26-2011, 11:23 PM
I never tried working with stained glass. I keep telling myself it will mean buying more tools. YIKES!

Justin Stephen
02-26-2011, 11:30 PM
I really like the concept quite a bit and your first execution is quite good. I'm thinking a darker wood with a rich color scheme of glass (the traditional deep blues and reds) would look pretty spectacular. I think I would make the handle a little smaller though.

Doug W Swanson
02-26-2011, 11:36 PM
That's a neat little project, Greg. I like it!

The mulberry looks like it turned out nice. I may have to try turning some on my next project!

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2011, 11:39 PM
That is a really nice box. I like the lid feature.

Vicki Hayden
02-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Awesome job. I like the idea of wood and glass and it's really neat that you made a round top. I don't do SG, but my friend does and I know how hard it is to fit a nice piece.

John Keeton
02-27-2011, 7:35 AM
Greg, that is a very neat combination of arts! Really unique. I have not jumped into the box thing yet, but I have been keeping my eye on all these ideas - some very creative folks on the creek!

Michelle Rich
02-27-2011, 8:38 AM
Great idea. I have been a stained glass artist for way too long & have always wanted to incorporate the two. But I worried about the wood swelling & the glass not ...I have only used wood for turned frames to hold the glass. Would love to see more ideas

Greg Just
02-27-2011, 9:02 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Michelle you bring up a good point about the wood moving and that is something I have thought about too. There is no way to have a real tight fitting lid. Even this small box has moved a bit and is not round anymore. I struggled with making the box to fit the lid or the lid to fit the box. I went with the latter.

One thing I'm planning to try is a wood frame for the lid with the stain glass "glued" in with a flexible clear caulk to allow for some movement. I also want to make a more domed shaped lid which I will attempt in my next box.

Jeff Fagen
02-27-2011, 9:19 AM
In another life I liked scroll saw work and have been wanting to make a scroll saw potpourri box lid. thanks for the inspiration.

Donny Lawson
02-27-2011, 9:44 AM
I like that. Did you make the bowl fit the lid or make the lid fit the bowl? It's something unique and different.

Greg Just
02-27-2011, 9:49 AM
I like that. Did you make the bowl fit the lid or make the lid fit the bowl? It's something unique and different.

I made the lid fit the bowl.

Cathy Schaewe
02-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Neat stuff!

Curt Fuller
02-27-2011, 10:29 AM
What a great idea Greg! Can't wait to see where you go with this.

bob svoboda
02-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Great idea and very nicely accomplished.

Ray Bell
02-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Very nice Greg. I have made several bowls with fused glass lids. Did you drill the glass for the knob?

Greg Just
02-28-2011, 8:47 AM
Very nice Greg. I have made several bowls with fused glass lids. Did you drill the glass for the knob?

Thanks Ray. For the knob, I soldered a wire between the glass pieces as close to the middle as I could. I then drilled a small hole in the knob and attached it with a drop of thick super glue

Ray Bell
02-28-2011, 7:04 PM
Thanks Ray. For the knob, I soldered a wire between the glass pieces as close to the middle as I could. I then drilled a small hole in the knob and attached it with a drop of thick super glue

That should work. I have epoxied a couple of knobs on, but one of them broke loose. I then ordered several 3/16 diamond hole saws from DiamondBurs.net. Then with small nylon washers on each side threaded the knob on. Seems to work well.

Ron Stadler
03-01-2011, 12:03 AM
That's thinkin out of the box, pretty cool stuff.