PDA

View Full Version : New (to me!) Drum Sander

Keith Westfall
02-26-2011, 9:28 PM
I needed a way to sand sand some segmented work I'm trying to do, so decided to build me a sander!

Not a high production unit but it did what I wanted, so that's all that counts I guess.

Did a 5" square as one of the pieces, and when finished it measured the same thickness on each side, so it appears to work OK.

Turned a drum out of construction spruce to about 2&1/2 inches and 12 inches long.

Before I added the paper, I sanded the drum to fit the base with a block with sandpaper on it.

A bracket on each end holds the paper. One end is chucked in my chuck, the other on the centre point. Paper is a roll of 120 grip emery paper fastened at each end by a small aluminum piece with 2 screws.

There is a guide strip on the bottom of the bottom, that just fits between the lathe ways.

Hinged on the other end and just a piece of ready rod, a blind nut, and a plastic handle to make the adjustments.

Clamp the vac hose to the tail stock, turn on the my air filter and good to go. Has to be fed from the back but that's OK.

Making things is fun! When they work - bonus!!

Steve Schlumpf
02-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Well now that's original! Great idea and just goes to show what you can do when you have a need! Thanks for sharing!

Fred Belknap
02-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Keith that is original. Better way to skin a cat. Thanks for posting.

Jon McElwain
02-26-2011, 10:42 PM
I like that! I bet you could do some freehand sanding on it as well.

David E Keller
02-26-2011, 10:57 PM
That's very clever! Nicely done.

Doug W Swanson
02-26-2011, 11:30 PM
That's a great idea! I'd love to buy a drum sander but they are just so darn expensive. I may have to go this route!

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Now that is cool. Thanks for sharing. I may have to try that as I just couldn't justify the expense of a drum sander. Or I should say the SWMBO wouldn't justify the cost.:mad::D

Richard Madden
02-27-2011, 12:02 AM
It looks good. I made one a year or so ago following William Smith's great article; http://www.smithart.us/downloads/Drum%20Sander.pdf

Steve Harder
02-27-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't have a need, so won't be making one soon. But always like to puzzle thru how I'd DIY a project.

Don Pencil sells 12" buffing extensions. As I already own one it could be easily adapted to this by bringing up tailstock into bolt hole where buff normally mounts. They run very true, so I wouldn't have to true up a metal cylinder, just use one I already have.

Michael Short
02-27-2011, 7:30 PM
Great DIY idea that you did on this one. I like it.

Dan Cannon
02-27-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm in the middle of trying to figure out a good way to creat this kind of sander, for several reasons...I'm glad you posted this, it's great food for thought! Nice work!