PDA

View Full Version : Elm HF

Fred Belknap
02-26-2011, 8:54 PM
This is an elm HF 8.5x8.5 inches including the finial. Finish is gloss WOP. Comments good or bad appreciated. :D

Donny Lawson
02-26-2011, 8:58 PM
That looks great to me.

Roger Chandler
02-26-2011, 9:03 PM
Jump on in here Fred! The HF waters are nice! That is pretty! I like that elm, and your finial has got a lot of interesting detail. That form is wider than the one I just did..........what tools did you use to hollow? Nice finish as well!

Allan Ferguson
02-26-2011, 9:06 PM
Great looking wood and HF. Finial pretty heavy. I am just starting to get mine to look like something other than a fence post. Keep on having fun with the turning.

Ron Bontz
02-26-2011, 9:10 PM
Nice piece. The finial is a little heavy for me. But I'm no expert either. I really like your photo booth as well. Reminds me of mine.:D

Fred Belknap
02-26-2011, 9:13 PM
Jump on in here Fred! The HF waters are nice! That is pretty! I like that elm, and your finial has got a lot of interesting detail. That form is wider than the one I just did..........what tools did you use to hollow? Nice finish as well!

Roger I have a Sorby hollowmaster and kelton medium hollower. It was a workout. The wood was from a dead tree and had been in the dry for about a year. It was hard. Thanks for the comments. BTW it didn't get sanded inside, did spray some shellac.

Steve Schlumpf
02-26-2011, 9:59 PM
Fred - this piece works quite well! Nice form and I like how you added a small foot to give the piece some rise. Also like the detail work in your finial! All-in-all - you did really good on this one! Looking forward to seeing your next turning!

Baxter Smith
02-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Nice job. That's some pretty wood.

Jon McElwain
02-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Great crisp details on the finial. What material is the finial? Smooth, fair curves on the body - nice work on this one.

David E Keller
02-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Nicely done, Fred. The main form is nice, and the foot does give it some lift.

If you make another like this one, I'd consider a taller, thinner finial. Looks like your details are crisp and clean, and the finish looks great.

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Nice form and wood Fred. Really well done.

Richard Madden
02-27-2011, 12:18 AM
I'd say you did a good job. Thanks for showing.

Dan Forman
02-27-2011, 3:14 AM
Nice shape, great finish, and active figure in the elm.

Dan

John Keeton
02-27-2011, 7:31 AM
Fred, HFs are terribly addicting - hope you can get help!;):D

Very nice work on the form, and you have done one thing on the finial that is so difficult to accomplish - the elements of the finial diminish in size as they ascend, creating a fair curve off the form. I would concentrate on making the base of the finial flow from the form - basically an extension of the top of the form, and making the finial more delicate - thinner, with deeper cuts. It is difficult from just this picture to determine if the height is correct. It does appear a little short, but may be fine if the finial were thinner, particularly the spire portion. IMO, you have also placed the elements correctly along the finial.

I would say this is a great job!! Nice wood, nice form, and nice finish!

Fred Belknap
02-27-2011, 8:24 AM
Thanks, your comments and advice is appreciated. I have to agree the finial is ok but I wasn't totally happy with it. I have a lot of respect for your opinions. I need to work on the camera thing:)

Michelle Rich
02-27-2011, 8:33 AM
nice job !!!