PDA

View Full Version : Finished my" First" HF today

Donny Lawson
02-26-2011, 8:44 PM
First of all I would like to thank everyone for the advise on this one. I did not get it as thin as I wanted but I think it turned out well. Right now it is just sanded to 600 with no finish but I will start adding poly tomorrow. It is Spalted Ambrosia with an Ambrosia lid. I think I will learn more about HF's before184340 I tackle another one. The size is about 8 1/2" accross and 3 1/2" tall w/o the lid. The lid adds about 2 1/4" more.Comments welcome.
Donny184339

Roger Chandler
02-26-2011, 10:04 PM
That is a very unique form, almost looks like some type of alabaster jar. Nice wood on this piece, and it looks like it will finish out well. Nice Donny!

Michael James
02-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Congratulations on this one! Personally, I'm pretty happy with most of my stuff that makes it to the finish line. I think it's great that you are back up and running in the new shop. Love the form, but the jury's still out on the lid. I haven't made any so my .o2 on that is probably really worth .oo :D The poly finish should go well on this one. Keep em comin!

Steve Schlumpf
02-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Looking forward to seeing this with finish on it as it will really make the wood pop! Interesting lid! Make sure you sign the bottom of the form before you apply finish! You're gonna want to keep this one!

Fred Belknap
02-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Donny I think it is a real nice HF especially for a first. Looks like nice wood that will be real nice when it is finished. My favorite finish is WOP because it is easy to get a nice finish. Keep turning HF, they are fun and they sure display the wood.

Baxter Smith
02-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Nice job Donny. Finish should make it look great! Great shape on the HF. JMO but I think the lid might look better without that middle part and a lower knob.

David E Keller
02-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Nicely done, Donny. What did you end up using to reach under the shoulder?

I really like the main form, but I think I like it better without the lid. You went through all the trouble to create that inflowing opening, and the lid hides it from view.

I hope you'll post some photos when it's finished.

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Donny that is on nice HF for a first. I would sign and date it. Keep it to compare down the road. I have to agree with that shape I would leave the lid off.

John Keeton
02-27-2011, 7:41 AM
Donny, I agree with the others on no lid. This is some spectacular wood, and it will really finish out well. I think the form stands on its own quite well.

Donny Lawson
02-27-2011, 9:40 AM
[QUOTE=David E Keller;1647388]Nicely done, Donny. What did you end up using to reach under the shoulder?

I ended up using the swan neck tool I recieved from Cathy a while back. So a BIG "Thanks" to her.I put a good sharp edge on it and set my tool rest back away from the curve and took very slow cuts. It worked pretty well but I can see I need alot of practice.

Cathy Schaewe
02-27-2011, 10:06 AM
I ended up using the swan neck tool I recieved from Cathy a while back. So a BIG "Thanks" to her.I put a good sharp edge on it and set my tool rest back away from the curve and took very slow cuts. It worked pretty well but I can see I need alot of practice.

Donny, I'm really glad that worked out for you. I agree that that particular tool requires a fair amount of practice.

Johnny Taylor
02-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Donny, thats a great 1st hollow form, they will get thinner for you the more you produce but this is a great start. I think its better with the lid off as the lid is a bit heavy looking for the piece. I'll look forward to seeing the pictures of it with a finish applied.

bob svoboda
02-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Good job Donny. Your form is good and the wood is really nice too. I agree no lidthe piece stands very well on its own.

Josh Bowman
02-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Donny, great job, looks like alabaster.