PDA

View Full Version : Barn Wood - Gloat, Maybe

James Combs
02-26-2011, 6:23 PM
A friend of mine tore down an old barn on his farm. He let me have some pieces of the larger beams. I was hoping it would be ash, elm or something else like that but turns out it was mostly red & white oak (best I can tell). However there was one beam that was different then the rest. I has a dark heartwood and extreme amount of worm tracks (probably powder post beetle).

This is the odd piece. What do you folks think it might be?

This piece kind of looks like white oak but it seems heavier and the saw marks are shiny??

This log was about 25 yards away from the barn so I got it too. I think it is spalted Maple.

The rest of what I got is definitely oak. Being barn wood I also have some of these. NAILS.

The last photo shows part of the tobacco stick storage room that was part of the barn. It is still full of tobacco sticks. Have made some pens from them in the past.

Steve Schlumpf
02-26-2011, 6:32 PM
Absolutely a gloat! Looks like some beautiful wood! Should keep you busy for a few weeks! Have fun!

Nate Davey
02-26-2011, 6:53 PM
Nice gloat. It's weird you showing this, I had a co worker ask if I could make him some pens out of tobacco sticks yesterday. Coincidence?????

John Keeton
02-26-2011, 7:25 PM
JD, there is a chance some of that is chestnut. It was in pretty wide use until the 1930's. Congrats on the score!

Jon Lanier
02-26-2011, 7:52 PM
That is a definite score!

charlie knighton
02-26-2011, 8:01 PM
congratulations

Lee Koepke
02-26-2011, 8:23 PM
i want some barn wood! I wish someone around here would make me that offer..... I did get a little bit from when we had our retail store, there was a pile of 'crap' behind it in the weeds, got 2 old doors, one beam, and 10-12 pieces of 1x12 variants (after rot and insects)

James Combs
02-26-2011, 8:42 PM
JD, there is a chance some of that is chestnut. It was in pretty wide use until the 1930's. Congrats on the score!

Do Powder Post Beetles like Chestnut? That one piece (I have about 6ft) with all the tracks is extremely heavy even heavier then the oak and... it's mostly powder:eek::rolleyes:.

Dick Wilson
02-26-2011, 8:57 PM
Pieces will be beautiful. You probably have old growth. Take extra care when turning. By the looks of it there are serious checks through the pith.

Michael James
02-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Great gloat! I love that stuff with some historical significance.

Baxter Smith
02-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Pretty neat stuff! If you pick your spots between the cracks and nails you should get some great looking pieces.

Jon McElwain
02-26-2011, 10:41 PM
I recently got a piece of silver maple that I have been messing around with. It is pretty wormy, but I sort of like the character they give the finished piece. Great gloat!

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Congrats James. That is a haul for sure.

John Keeton
02-27-2011, 8:48 AM
Do Powder Post Beetles like Chestnut? That one piece (I have about 6ft) with all the tracks is extremely heavy even heavier then the oak and... it's mostly powder:eek::rolleyes:.JD, powder post beetles do not infest Chestnut, but some of the other wood you show does appear similar to chestnut. Also, the "powder" tends to draw moisture and in the right conditions, could add weight to a piece of wood.

Jeff Nicol
02-27-2011, 9:07 AM
I think that powder post beetles may not be the only type of nasty critter that will make the tracks in the wood. The tracks look much larger than what a PPB would leave in my opinion. But since the barn is in KY there are many types of hardwood that could have been used. I am sure when they built the barn whatever was handy that was of the correct size to use as a beam that was hardwood was used. Here in WI there are a lot of beams made from Red Elm and it will have a grain structure much like Red Oak Or Chestnut Oak. Most times when the bugs get in the wood like the wormy piece is because it may have been leaked on at one time and the bugs are attracted to the moisture in the wood, thus the mass confligration of critters! You will be able to tell more when you get into the wood and see how the grain looks then, end grain is a tough one to make a call on sometimes.

Nice haul and have fun!

Jeff

Jim Adkins
02-27-2011, 9:17 AM
James....I'm thinking that first pc might be Sweet Gum, second, Oak. Just a guess!!
When you get into these pieces the grain may reveal the true flavors.

bob svoboda
02-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Nice gloat. I love it when free wood comes along.