PDA

View Full Version : Finishing leopard wood

Keith E Byrd
02-26-2011, 7:24 AM
Does anyone know of any unique properties of leopard wood? I have a segmented piece that I am going to be turning and was curious.

dirk martin
02-26-2011, 8:50 PM
The primary thing I've noticed, is its uncanny ability to produce slivers. It's unreal. You can hardly touch a piece, and not get a sliver.
Also, I've noticed that some folks are alergic to these slivers. Most are not, but some are.

Keith E Byrd
02-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Dirk,
That isn't what I have experienced. I have been woking with some leopard wood and using it in a small table I am making for my wife - planed, jointed, cut, sanded - haven't seen any slivers at all!

David E Keller
02-26-2011, 10:54 PM
I've only turned pens with it, but I don't recall anything peculiar about it's finishing properties. I remember it being a little porous, but nothing too dramatic. I'm sure you'd be fine with an oil finish if that's what you like. Shellac followed by a poly finish should work as well. I hope you'll post the finished product.

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2011, 11:51 PM
I have turned a couple of pieces. It finishes nicely with Antique Oil or some other oil finish. I haven't had or seen any problems with slivers.

dirk martin
02-27-2011, 1:11 AM
Interesting.
I've only handled it in the rough, and when I purchase it, I've always gotten warnings from my vendors.

Keith E Byrd
02-27-2011, 6:00 AM
Thanks Dick - Next time I go to Armstrong's I will ask them about it.

Robert McGowen
02-27-2011, 12:18 PM
I have made a couple of segmented pieces with leopardwood. It does leave lots of splinters and with so many small pieces for segmented work, you will just have to learn to deal with them! It works well for the segments though and sands nicely. I used Antique oil on the finished pieces and that is what I would use again.184427