PDA

View Full Version : Band saw tires

Jim Davenport
02-25-2011, 11:41 PM
I have a bad top tire on my 14" Jet band saw. I'm going to replace both tires. Woodcraft has Carter urethane tires on sale.
Has anyone installed them on a 14" Jet? Any problems, or tricks I should know about?

thanks
Jim

Jim Sebring
02-25-2011, 11:53 PM
I haven't installed them on a Jet but have put them on another 14 inch saw. Just get the tires pretty warm in water - you might add a little dishwashing soap to make them a bit slippery. The biggest issue I had was holding the wheels fast while I put the tires on. I made a jig out of scrap lumber with a dowel the size of the bandsaw shaft. I clamped the jig to my bench and put the wheel(s) on the dowel. With the jig you only have to wrestle with one alligator (the tire) at a time ;-)

Adam Cormier
02-26-2011, 1:32 AM
I've installed them on a 14" Ridgid which is very similar as far as I understand. Honestly, I did it by hand and had absolutely no problem. I had to stretch it pretty good but they work perfectly.

The instructions to mention placing them in warm/hot soapy water (if I recall correctly) and then installing them. The warm urethane allows the tires to stretch easier. I didn't want to bother with the mess and therefore just did it by hand. One thing to remember though is: make sure you remove all the dust, etc off of the tires. They should be perfectly clean.

Carroll Courtney
02-26-2011, 7:38 AM
I have done afew tires over the last couple of yrs and have always gone w/rubber tires from Bobby over at woodworkerstool.com and he also has a Youtube on how to install tires.I called him up and ask several questions about tires like which is better,rubber or urethane,glues,crowning,etc What was impressive to me was he took the time and went into detail with each question.Today,installing tires and crowning does not intimidate me anymore:o Couple of pics on how I installing tires and crown them if you choose to go that route.Here's an attachment to what I hope is Youtube showing Bobby installing a tire---Carroll http://woodworkerstoolworks.com/blog/

Matt Winterowd
02-26-2011, 9:42 AM
I don't know about the Jet wheels, but for the Delta, the Carter tires aren't wide enough. Theoretically wouldn't matter if the tire is truly an even thickness and relatively parallel to the wheel's rim, but I'd rather just have a correct fit. The orange urethane tires from Rockler/Highland Woodworking/Others fit correctly. Putting them on was a breeze.

Bruce Wrenn
02-26-2011, 9:26 PM
Use the orange tires from either Rockler / Hartville / McFeelys. All (thru tomorrow with Hartville) are about $33 delivered to your door for a PAIR. Rockler $32.99 with free shipping, Hartville $24.90 + $8.95 shipping. McFeelys about $32 and $1 shipping.

Jim Davenport
02-26-2011, 10:34 PM
I went ahead and picked up a pair of Carter's at my local Woodcraft this morning. I like to support my local store when possible.
One of the local guys I talked to has used them on a 14" Jet with no problems.