PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my shop vac

Dan Friedrichs
02-25-2011, 11:30 PM
I wasn’t sure if this was more dust collection or power tool, so I put it here. This is my newly-modified shop vac. Notable features:

1) Pentz-design cyclone
2) CleanStream HEPA filter
3) Detachable blower (for blowing leaves, etc)
4) Tool-triggered automatic-turn-on with variable speed control to adjust suction for handheld sander use

This took me a good bit of time and cost a bit, too. I’m not too thrilled with the finished result, mostly because I can no longer suck up things like strips of paper or leaves because they’re too big to drop out the bottom of the cyclone. This is a very major annoyance. I feel like I no longer have a shop vac…

In hindsight, I really wish I would have left my shop vac alone (and reserved it for normal “shop vac uses”) and just bought a Festool dust extractor for sanding.

mreza Salav
02-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Very cool, I did build a similar one a while ago (minus the tool-triggered auto turn on) and enjoy it A LOT.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?105916-Meet-the-new-sucker&highlight=

The fact that I haven't cleaned/changed the filter since then is a big plus to me.
I agree that vaccuming strips of paper or fine bug big shavings of hand plane ends-up in the filter compartment (instead of the bucket) but I can (and I suppose you can too) take the motor
housing out and put it right on the bucket like the original setting in a few seconds. So what's the big deal?

Steven Wayne
02-26-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm interested in more info on this setup. I have no dust collection just yet. Is this a somewhat economical solution?

John M Wilson
02-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Steven, Here is an alternative, which does not require any modification to your shop vac. Adding a dust deputy vastly reduces the amount of stuff getting into the shop vac, and greatly extends the amount of time you can collect sawdust before having to monkey with a clogged filter.

There are many different varieties of carts; this one is from on-line plans, and several creekers have posted a vertical combo, which doesn't take up as much room, although it is a little more tippy.

Check the Dust Deputy threads for more ideas...

Good luck!

Neil Brooks
02-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Dan,

Didja' ever see a movie called Westworld (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westworld)??

;)

Phil Thien
02-26-2011, 9:11 AM
I like it, it looks like Mad Max's shop vac!

Jason White
02-26-2011, 9:22 AM
It might be useless now, but it sure looks cool!!

Dan Friedrichs
02-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Mreza, I think I saw pictures of yours, which were great inspiration when building mine. I should say that while I'm not totally thrilled with the end result, it does work really well (nothing gets into the filter box). I just need to learn not to suck up bigger pieces with it. Using it with my festool sander is great -the tool-triggered auto-on and variable speed work very well (and the noise it produces when the speed is slightly reduced is significantly less).

I was mostly inspired by a picture of a near-identical design that ClearVue used to make before they stopped making the mini cyclone. I really wish I could have just bought that one, but that whole situation explains why I'm not interested in a "dust deputy" :/

Alan Schaffter
02-26-2011, 4:37 PM
I wasn’t sure if this was more dust collection or power tool, so I put it here. This is my newly-modified shop vac. Notable features:

1) Pentz-design cyclone
2) CleanStream HEPA filter
3) Detachable blower (for blowing leaves, etc)
4) Tool-triggered automatic-turn-on with variable speed control to adjust suction for handheld sander use

This took me a good bit of time and cost a bit, too. I’m not too thrilled with the finished result, mostly because I can no longer suck up things like strips of paper or leaves because they’re too big to drop out the bottom of the cyclone. This is a very major annoyance. I feel like I no longer have a shop vac…

In hindsight, I really wish I would have left my shop vac alone (and reserved it for normal “shop vac uses”) and just bought a Festool dust extractor for sanding.

I have semi-fixed system, but used quick connects so I can quickly remove my shopvac to use it elsewhere (a rare occurrence). I may build a lightweight mount so I can attach the cyclone to the shopvac, when I do.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1404/medium/PB050004.JPG

Dan Friedrichs
02-26-2011, 5:07 PM
Alan, does your cyclone have an air ramp? It looks like you may have omitted it (as did I)...

Mark Major
02-26-2011, 5:16 PM
Dan...I don't care how well it works...that's got to be one of the coolest looking vac mods I've ever seen :D...nice job!

Mark

Alan Schaffter
02-26-2011, 6:58 PM
Alan, does your cyclone have an air ramp? It looks like you may have omitted it (as did I)...

It has an air ramp- it is a ClearVue I got before they stopped making them.