PDA

View Full Version : Coating For Between Sessions Turning a Cherry Burl

Mike Turner
02-25-2011, 11:12 PM
I have a large cherry burl and it is my first burl. I will probably turn it in stages . I will turn it some tomorrow and will probably partial turn it then....Can I partially turn it and and then coat it with something, maybe spray or brush something on it and then come back to it in a day or two...Or coat it and come back to it? I have some anchorseal but I was going to probably work on it during 2 or 3 sessions time permitting...a lot to do this weekend...Thanks !

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2011, 11:17 PM
Mike - if you are planning on turning it - even in stages - you can always just cover it with a plastic bag. The bag prevents moisture loss and creates a sort of micro climate which protects the wood. You don't want to leave it that way for too long as it could form mold or cause the jaws of your chuck to rust. I do this all the time and it works.

Roger Chandler
02-25-2011, 11:18 PM
wrap it in a plastic bag and tape it shut if you will have to leave it and return. Otherwise, you are asking for it to crack unless it is almost totally dry.

David E Keller
02-25-2011, 11:33 PM
I agree with Steve and Roger about the bag. If you get the outside completed, you can apply your finish of choice to the outside which will likely help prevent some cracking, but I'd still put it in the bag.

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2011, 10:51 AM
I agree with the others. I don't like to leave them on more than a day as even with the bag it may crack.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-26-2011, 11:41 AM
It's what I do also, and often wipe the wood with a wet rag before putting the plastic bag on, mind you I never leave it longer than overnight and very seldom at all, I like to start and finish all the turning in one go.

Al Wasser
02-26-2011, 2:10 PM
Once you start the inside, I strongly urge you to finish it in one session. If you don't you may return to find an out of round object that can be a little difficult to reshape to round. Even pretty dry wood can move.

Jack Mincey
02-26-2011, 2:15 PM
When my students have to turn a bowl in stages I always have them put it in a plastic bag sealed up. We put some wet paper towels in the bag to help keep the wood saturated until next time they can turn on it. It will OK for three or four days by doing this. You might get a lot of mold if you try to go longer.
Jack