PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for finishing HF interior

George Overpeck
02-25-2011, 9:02 PM
Hey all - just turned this 7' piece from birch burl, still removing some cambium and need to take off the base.

The apertures are maybe a little larger than I wanted - I guess I was trying to preserve the size. I find it a little distracting that you can see the inside so well. There's a lot going on in front already without seeing an unsanded wall behind it.

Is this the right time for me to poke a blowtorch into it? I haven't done much charring so I don't know how likely it would be to crack off the burls or warp the big floating central section.

Any suggestions on hiding the inside walls a bit? Also, I was going to use a blond shellac but was wondering if anyone had an idea what would preserve the cream color and burl pattern a bit more. All other critiques and suggestions welcome, especially ones that I can still implement-:o

Pic of backside included because I think it's almost nicer than the front.

thanks in advance - George

Fred Belknap
02-25-2011, 9:13 PM
George that is a neat turning. Sorry I can't help with your questions. Love that backside, thanks for showing it.

David E Keller
02-25-2011, 9:18 PM
That's a great looking piece, George. I wouldn't do anything to the inside of the piece... From what I can tell in the photos, the inside looks pretty good. If you really want to darken the inside, you could do it with dye or ink probably easier than you could burn it. As for the finish, I like your plan. I guess spray on lacquer would be another option. I seem to remember David Ellsworth using a spray on 'artist's fixative' to preserve the natural look of his finished pieces. Whatever you decide to do, I'm counting on you posting some photos of the finished piece... It's gonna be a knockout.

Greg Just
02-25-2011, 9:25 PM
I agree with David and would not do anything with the inside. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Dick Wilson
02-25-2011, 9:28 PM
George,

I sure wouldn't worry about the openings being too big. When it is all finished it will be stunning. Looking at the third picture it appears that you got a smooth surface on the inside IE: no glaring tool marks or ridges. What is your normal finish? If you use WOP/Lacquer, Shellac, etc. you could pour a small amount on the inside and move the turning around coating all surfaces. For the area between the two large openings you can probably get at it using a brush. Sand off outside if there are runs. I would think one coat would be enough for the inside. Or like David and Greg said..... do nothing with the inside.

I am very interested in what others would do with this piece on finishing. Post it when you get done. I really want to see it.

George Morris
02-25-2011, 9:30 PM
If you want to color the inside I also would do a dye or color of some kind. Looks good good luck with it! G

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2011, 11:53 PM
George - excellent form! I really like the voids and find that the character adds to the piece and is something to embrace - not hide. I use wipe-on poly for most everything and I would apply a coat or 2 on the inside. I would leave it a natural color as that would be what you would expect to see when looking inside the piece.

John Keeton
02-26-2011, 7:58 AM
I agree on leaving the inside natural color, but soaking in a couple coats of finish - avoid a build or gloss. However, if you decide to darken the interior, I would use flat acrylic paint - not dye. Invariably, the dye will either soak thru to the outside, or leak thru the voids and stain the exterior. If you finish the piece first, including a soaking coat on the inside, you can then decide on whether to paint the interior. Then, if you get any paint on the exterior, it will wipe off with a damp cloth without damage.

Brian McInturff
02-26-2011, 8:24 AM
Are you sure this is a turning or have you been to the La Brea Tar Pits. That form looks like a dinosaur egg that has been pecked from the inside out. That's going to be a beauty of piece when it is finished! As for a finish I would agree with leaving the inside natural and not coloring it. If you have a piece left from the blank you started with sand it down and play with a few different finishes to see which you will like best. I would want some of that grain from the burl to really pop.

Curt Fuller
02-26-2011, 10:20 AM
That's going to be an incredible piece when you get it finished. Make sure you post some pics. As for finishing the inside, I vote with the others that have said to leave it natural. You can improvise some sanders by using a 1/2" dowel with a little piece of foam rubber wrapped around the end and then some sandpaper taped over that. I use coarse paper, usually 80 grit, and just try to get what I can. It looks like you've already got a nice surface from scraping. I wouldn't want to burn the inside or dye it for fear of discoloring the edges of the voids. That's really going to be a beauty!

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2011, 10:33 AM
I agree that I would leave the inside natural. I would just finish it with Antique Oil or Wipe on Poly on the inside. I also think a dye would bleed thru so I agree with the acrylic paint.

Baxter Smith
02-26-2011, 12:30 PM
That looks great even without a finish! I would be afraid to try any thing on the inside that might mess up the outside. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

bob svoboda
02-26-2011, 1:14 PM
Nicely done. I can't think of any options that haven't already been offered. Please post a pic when completed-can't wait to see that.

Chip Sutherland
02-26-2011, 1:40 PM
I'll buck the trend here....gild the interior in gold/imiation gold leaf. It'll be really hard but the effect will be fun. Gold acrylic paint is an option but it won't pop like the gold leaf would. Any natural finish on the outside that doesn't darken it too much will be just great. Top light it so the gold will shine through the voids. Put it on turntable pedestal, too.

If you gild it....brown paper/painter tape the entire outside because gold flakes find their way everwhere you don't want them.

Dick Wilson
02-26-2011, 1:42 PM
Again, I agree with the above comments. I would not use dye. I have enough experience with dye to tell you that you could end up with a mess. If the dye hits the outside wood it is there, period. Color.....that is your call. Not know expactly what the outside color will be it is hard to say. I have used Kelly Green and Black on pieces. I would use a flat color. I think I would finish inside and outside natural wood and take some time looking at it before getting out the paint brush. I can't wait to see it done.

Jon Nuckles
02-26-2011, 2:12 PM
That is really nice. I personally like the amber shade and grain enhancement that shellac offers, but if you wanted to keep the lighter color on the outside a water based finish is supposed to do that. I've never used water based finish except by brush on a flatwork piece, so I don't know how difficult it is to apply to a turning.

Jeff Nicol
02-26-2011, 4:30 PM
I agree that it is very nice the way it is and to see the inside is not a bad thing. I did paint the inside of one piece I did that I used 5 different layers of epoxy colored to create the finished HF. But when I was cleaning up the inside after every thing had set there was a couple of spots that I did not get a thick enough overlap of the epoxy where the voids were and if I would have kept turning I was afraid that I would lose the epoxy. So any way I took some flat black acrylic paint and a brush and painted the inside and now it is just dark inside and worked good for that. But you would have to try and seal off any of the void areas so as not to get any over run or dripping of paint on the outside surface, you may be able to do it after you finish the outside so the paint can be wiped off quickly to keep it from staining.

Sounds like lots of work and like we have all said, it is fine that way it is,

Great job and can't wait to see it finished,

Jeff