PDA

View Full Version : Why I love my scrub plane!

Mark Baldwin III
02-25-2011, 8:47 PM
In a few recent threads, there has been mention of scrubs and their relative usefulness, and tradition. I happen to think they are awesome beasts. I don't have any saws (electron or beer powered) that would allow me to remove 1/2 inch of thickness from this chunk of ash (in a practical manner, anyway). Out comes the scrub!!! I can just imagine doing this with one of my finer set planes:eek:

Andrew Gibson
02-25-2011, 9:12 PM
you have to love the simplicity of a well tuned scrub. I have a beat up, broken frog, Craftsman #5 set up as a scrub, and a LN 40-1/2 in the mail. Can't wait to see which one gets called on more often. I have a fealing the LN will se quite a bit of work. I have a dining table and chair project coming up shortly.

Zach Dillinger
02-25-2011, 9:42 PM
I've got a Veritas scrub that I never use, preferring an old horned scrub. I'd be happy to part with the Veritas, if someone wants it.

Bobby O'Neal
02-25-2011, 10:27 PM
I love my LN 40 1/2. The satisfaction from its power and immediate progress/results is alot of fun.

Derek Gilmer
02-25-2011, 10:50 PM
I've got a Veritas scrub that I never use, preferring an old horned scrub. I'd be happy to part with the Veritas, if someone wants it.
Hmm what kind of price are you looking for?

Pat Barry
02-26-2011, 7:59 AM
Thats the nicest thing about some tools. You can use them in ways they were never intended and get satisfactory results. It may not be the best solution but it works for you when you need it. I just hope that this is only an infrequent occurrence though because a good saw would obviously work 100x better for this job.

Mark Baldwin III
02-26-2011, 8:32 AM
Thats the nicest thing about some tools. You can use them in ways they were never intended and get satisfactory results. It may not be the best solution but it works for you when you need it. I just hope that this is only an infrequent occurrence though because a good saw would obviously work 100x better for this job.

I'm looking at the Wenzloff saw kits and an ECE bow saw. Either of them would definitely reduce the amount of work here. Due to some financial restraints ($700 to fix my car), they aren't in the picture for a little while yet. I'm thinking a good hand saw will make a great birthday present for myself, but that's a couple of months out. It would be much easier to cut with a saw, and square up with the jack plane, for sure!

Adam Cormier
02-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Yes, the scrub plane is a great tool! I am still without one and looking to purchase the Veritas from Lee Valley

Russell Sansom
02-26-2011, 1:51 PM
A really cheap handsaw filed rip can be a fairly inexpensive proposition. Something less than a modern kit might need sharpening a little more often, but it'll saw your ash.

Jim Koepke
02-26-2011, 2:16 PM
Something less than a modern kit might need sharpening a little more often, but it'll saw your ash.

:p was there a temptation to include an "off" at the end of that? :p

jtk

Mark Baldwin III
02-26-2011, 5:54 PM
:p was there a temptation to include an "off" at the end of that? :p

jtk

I definitely planed my ash off! I was happy to see how far my planing skills have come when I finished this blank. I drew square lines around each end, and each line met back at the origin.
Taking 1/2 inch off of 2 sides of a piece like this is more than I'd like to do in the future with a plane. Was a total of about 1&1/2 hours of work to square the whole thing up...which I don't think is too bad for a newbie.