PDA

View Full Version : Lignum virte

Harry Robinette
02-25-2011, 7:41 PM
I seam to remember a thread about lignum virte .The original and this lighter color stuff thats being sold now.It had the difference in thier make up and workablety.
Harry

Curt Fuller
02-25-2011, 9:05 PM
There's the real Lignum Vitae (Guaiacum officinale) which is the legendary heaviest wood on earth. And then there's the Argentine Lignum Vitae (Bulnesia sarmiento) which is very similar but not related. I've never turned the real stuff, but the Argentine Lignum Vitae is beautiful wood when freshly turned. But after a few days it begins to turn a greenish color. It's still pretty, just different. It's very dense, heavy, oily, but nice to work with.

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2011, 9:12 PM
I agree with Curt. Real Lignum Vitae is a really dense, heavy wood. I have a piece I haven't turned yet because I wanted to make a lidded box with a threaded lid. Didn't want to ruin this piece as it is some expensive wood. Argentine LV which is cheaper is also a nice turning oily wood and it also threads well. The piece of Argentine LV that I have roughed and drying has turned that green color. I will be anxious to see how it turns out with finish on it.

neil mackay
02-25-2011, 10:07 PM
I had a several small pieces and it turns like plastic and take a finish like nothing else, love the stuff. My check book runs in horror at the mention of it tho' :D

Tim Thiebaut
02-26-2011, 1:04 AM
I bought a very nice piece at Rockler the other day to make a mallet out of, it says on the sticker Lignum Vitae...how do you tell if it is the real stuff? The piece I have feels like you could make an boat anchor out of it, I finished turning it tonight, and I have to say it was a joy to turn, as hard as the wood is the curlys were flying off my freshly sharpened tools. I used paste wax for the finish as I figured as a bonker anything else might ship off over time, and it was beautiful freshly buffed.

Bill Boehme
02-26-2011, 2:16 AM
I bought a very nice piece at Rockler the other day to make a mallet out of, it says on the sticker Lignum Vitae...how do you tell if it is the real stuff?

Did you need to take out a loan to buy it? If not, then it is the Argentine LV. The real stuff is mostly a yellow color with chocolate brown streaks. It came from Haiti and there is very little left because it simply was not managed nor harvested with any consideration for sustaining the future availability. The Argentine LV is not quite as oily and has a tan to greenish tan color. I have some that I have not turned and notice that it has a somewhat pungent odor. As far as I know, it is no longer legal to import the real LV.

Tim Thiebaut
02-26-2011, 3:53 AM
Did you need to take out a loan to buy it? If not, then it is the Argentine LV. The real stuff is mostly a yellow color with chocolate brown streaks. It came from Haiti and there is very little left because it simply was not managed nor harvested with any consideration for sustaining the future availability. The Argentine LV is not quite as oily and has a tan to greenish tan color. I have some that I have not turned and notice that it has a somewhat pungent odor. As far as I know, it is no longer legal to import the real LV.

The piece I picked up was approx "3 1/2 X "3 1/2 X "14 and ran $20. I am color blind so I dont know if the colors you described fit or not. Once I get my photo tent I will take some pics and post them and maybe someone will be able to tell from the pictures what type it is. Thanks for the info...Tim

Harry Robinette
02-26-2011, 3:36 PM
Thanks guys
You've all been allot of help.I got 2 sticks of the Argentine LV 12"x 1" sq.for finials at the Cleveland Woodcraft.I've never turned any but it sounds like it well work for
finials, so I just got to dry it for awhile.Thanks again.
Harry