PDA

View Full Version : What did I buy for $1.

Kev Godwin
02-25-2011, 6:44 PM
I bought this chisel today for $1 at a garage sale along with another smaller one (50 cents each). This chisel is 2 inches wide and 7-1/2 inches from the front of the blade to the shoulder. It measures 12 inches overall not including the short wood handle.

There isn't any manufacturer indentification. Both are free of any heavy pitting. Looks like both will clean up real well. Thx.
Kev

Zach Dillinger
02-25-2011, 6:53 PM
It looks like you bought a framing chisel that had the hell beat out of it at some point, unless that curve is just a trick of the shadows in the background. At least they had the decency to hit the handle and not mushroom it too bad. You should be able to sharpen it up for use in your shop, but I don't think I'd pound on it too hard. Still, a great buy for only a dollar.

Jim Koepke
02-25-2011, 8:22 PM
If given the opportunity I would have let go of a buck for that one.

Those big ones are not needed a lot, but when they are needed, it is handy to have one around.

jtk

george wilson
02-25-2011, 9:24 PM
It looks old enough to be wrought iron,which,being soft,may account for the curved shape. I can't see if it has a steel bit or not. There looks like there is a line near the cutting edge,which may be the bit.

The socket has been beat on,and could be filed back to shape when you put a decent handle on it. Certainly a good buy. You could hammer it back straight with a rawhide mallet,or some other soft hammer,but it will take some pounding to get it straight.

I do have an old 1/8" socket chisel with a curve made very similar to it,so that the handle will clear,though,when chiseling across a flat surface.

Kev Godwin
02-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Both of these chisels have exactly the same amount of curve front to back - about 1/8". I have very limited knowledge of chisels, but I do like to buy old ones from flea markets and such if they can be cleaned up and sharpened. I just went out to the shop bench and see that I have 3 old HS&B OVB chisels that also have this exact same slight curve. 1 of the HS&B I bought had never been used before I got it. One of the HS&B is 1-3/4" wide and has this curve. Couldn't they have been made that way?

Is there a name for this shape and/or form of chisel? Is it a "framing" chisel as noted above?

I'm sure it isn't wrought iron. I bought them right next to an Amish settlement in east central Iowa. Thx for any advice/comments!
Kev

george wilson
02-26-2011, 8:53 AM
As I mentioned(more or less) ,I have a 1/8" chisel bent in the same way so the handle clears a flat surface. Yes,they could be made that way,especially if you have 2 the same.

Caspar Hauser
02-26-2011, 10:01 AM
It looks to me like a timber framers slick, if so then the curve is deliberate.

Steve Branam
02-26-2011, 1:26 PM
And a nice slick will set you back anywhere from $30 to $80 from any flea market dealer who knows his stuff, so you got a pretty good deal!