PDA

View Full Version : Maple plate with Pyro

Jeff Myroup
02-25-2011, 5:29 PM
This plate is 12" hard Maple. The image is burned and oil pencil was used to add highlights. The little bit of quilting gives the impression of rain. For the record those are flowers in the basket and not eggs. On the back I added a rose. I wanted it to look like an old school tattoo. The piece is sign in the leafs, although you can't see it in these pictures.

Doug W Swanson
02-25-2011, 5:36 PM
That is an excellent piece. A nice piece of wood made even better with the artwork....

Ron Bontz
02-25-2011, 5:47 PM
Wow. Just beautiful.

Bill Bolen
02-25-2011, 6:15 PM
Gorgeous! Gotta love "real art"! ...Bill...

Jeff Myroup
02-25-2011, 7:06 PM
Thanks guys. I had a lot of fun working on this one. My goal is to eventually burn some of the works of the great Masters on some plates. I have a long way to go before I get to that level though

Baxter Smith
02-25-2011, 7:49 PM
Beautiful work! That takes real "artistic" skills.

Roger Chandler
02-25-2011, 7:54 PM
Fabulous! Absolutely fabulous! Beautifully artistic concept carried out to a high degree of excellence on a palette that is in its own right a beautiful canvas. Yep, I would call it art, for sure!

Michael James
02-25-2011, 8:02 PM
That's great work - Conceptually and technically on a great piece of wood. WOW!

Jim Burr
02-25-2011, 8:25 PM
Ok...we have been deceived...maple plate with pyro...uh huh. Art work worthy of display with inlay is a good title. Great job of 3D work Jeff!!

Josh Bowman
02-25-2011, 8:59 PM
Jeff, I love the art work!!!

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2011, 9:07 PM
Beautiful. Love the pyro.

George Morris
02-25-2011, 9:42 PM
Jeff well done,Great work! G

Donny Lawson
02-25-2011, 9:42 PM
Great work on the plate. Your Pyro is very nice.

David E Keller
02-25-2011, 9:47 PM
Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing. Got any good sources for pyro techniques for the novice? I just got a burner, and I'm looking for some resources.

Jeff Myroup
02-25-2011, 9:58 PM
Ok...we have been deceived...maple plate with pyro...uh huh. Art work worthy of display with inlay is a good title. Great job of 3D work Jeff!!

Jim Thank you. There is no inlay in this plate, it is all burnt

Bob Bergstrom
02-25-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm sure glad I get to see these in person. Your work is impeccable. If I ever need a tattoo, I come to you. LOL

Jeff Myroup
02-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Thank you for the compliments everyone.

Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing. Got any good sources for pyro techniques for the novice? I just got a burner, and I'm looking for some resources.

Lora Irish has some good books out. My advice is to practice. It really depends on what you want to do. For the stuff I do, you need to learn how to use a shader. Everything I have posted was done with either a spoon shaped shader, or a spear point shader. You really need to sand the wood well, 600 minimum to get a smooth burn. Each type of wood burns differently.
I don't know of any other Wood burning artists that burn on Hard Maple, You have to use a higher heat to get the same result as you would on say bass wood. I would start on birch ply wood or bass wood. Always experiment on a piece of wood before you try it on something nice. I keep practice boards next to me while I am burning. Always have the pen moving. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Jeff Myroup
02-25-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm sure glad I get to see these in person. Your work is impeccable. If I ever need a tattoo, I come to you. LOL

Thanks Bob. Not sure about a tattoo, but I could brand you LOL

Paul Douglass
02-25-2011, 10:20 PM
That is beautiful and a direction I'd like to try. Do you have a pattern ot are you just that good of an artist? Absolutely beautiful

Richard Madden
02-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Wow, what a beauty! I'd like to see pictures of some of the steps you go through to produce these beautiful works of art.

Jeff Myroup
02-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Wow, what a beauty! I'd like to see pictures of some of the steps you go through to produce these beautiful works of art.

I going to start working on a new mastiff burning on Sunday. I will post some pictures of the progress. If you are on FB send me a request. most of my albums have in-progress pics

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2011, 11:26 PM
WOW! That certainly takes the embellishment thing to a whole nuther level! Excellent all the way around! Seriously - very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Jeff Myroup
02-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks Steve.
It is nice to see the plate so well received

Kevin Lucas
02-25-2011, 11:36 PM
One great looking plate! My wife really liked the ones with dogs )

Jeff Myroup
02-26-2011, 8:10 PM
That is beautiful and a direction I'd like to try. Do you have a pattern ot are you just that good of an artist? Absolutely beautiful

Thanks Paul. I use a pattern on all my burnings. I print the image on regular paper, the problem you get is that the pattern is not that good of an image. I used to copy almost everything I could on the image. I found it to be a problem because when I start burning I use the image on the computer as my guide. So now I only trace an outline and some landmark points, the rest I draw free hand. I found this works much better. The other thing you need to learn that will elevate your work, is to train yourself to see everything in the form of shades and shadows. Remember there are no lines in nature. Everything we see is base on light or lack there of. I would like to see more people burn this way. This plate was actually made to enter in a turning and burning contest. It did not win. On everything else, the burning was used as texture. I wanted to show the softer, lighter side of burning. One day I hope it will gain better acceptance in the woodturning community.

Jeff Myroup
02-26-2011, 8:11 PM
One great looking plate! My wife really liked the ones with dogs )

Thank you Kevin, and be sure to thank your wife for me

Bob Bergstrom
02-26-2011, 8:50 PM
Jeff is a pretty good artist, but he says his wife is even more artistic.

Larry Marley
02-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Beautiful. I absolutely love this piece. When artist meets lathe.

Jeff Myroup
02-27-2011, 1:26 PM
Beautiful. I absolutely love this piece. When artist meets lathe.

Thank you Larry