PDA

View Full Version : Disston #12?

Jonathan Spool
02-25-2011, 2:22 PM
I just purchased a poorly described saw listed on Ebay. Only described as a Disston, and has Philidelphia on the medallion. Looks like a crosscut #12 or D12 to me. Did any of the other models also have the same handle as the 12s? Hope I didn't screw up, but I only paid $15 +$10 shipping so couldn't have gone to wrong unless there is significant pitting.

I would appreciate suggestions as to the best way to clean up an old blade. If it is a #12 I wouldn't mind sending it out to someone to be cleaned and sharpened. Suggestions welcome.

David Weaver
02-25-2011, 2:44 PM
If it is straight or with a slight wave, you have done well. Take the handle off and make a wooden sanding block and wet sand it with 400 grit and WD40. Go coarser or finer as the condition allows. No bare hand sanding and no norton beartex or any other abrasive pads, the block will protect the etch if there's one under there.

If it doesn't have a kink or missing teeth, you've done well - those teeth look pretty good and sharpening should be routine if they all look like that.

It looks like a #12 to me, and i can barely see the medallion, but I would guess it's somewhere around turn of the century give or take.

john brenton
02-25-2011, 2:46 PM
I saw that one and almost grabbed it up myself. Was it just a really dark pic with a description something like "Disston #7? #8?" If it was, I thought it was a 12 but it was hard to tell. Nice score.

I would just scrape the blade with some kind of soft metal scraper and paste wax, just being careful not to scratch the plate. Then I'd buff it out with some #0000 steel wool. I'd buff the handle with a little paste wax and steel wool too and call it good.

From here it looks like it could use a little jointing...

David Weaver
02-25-2011, 2:47 PM
Almost forgot, as john says, you can start with a scraping blade or razor blade to get any raised rust off of it.

Jonathan Spool
02-25-2011, 3:02 PM
Thanks guys,
John, this one was just listed as Antique Disston Saw in Fair Condition. Looks like a 10 or 12 tpi to me.

john brenton
02-25-2011, 3:24 PM
The #12's plate I had a few months ago looked a lot worse than that one. It cleaned right up. You're not going to get a shiny plate out of the deal...you just want a clean plate free of rust. If you wanted to, you could clean it up and put it right back on ebay with a buy it now of $100. Even with the busted horn and without jointing or sharpening.

Thanks guys,
John, this one was just listed as Antique Disston Saw in Fair Condition. Looks like a 10 or 12 tpi to me.

Billy McCarthy
02-25-2011, 3:43 PM
If you plan on sending it out to be sharpened, I can recommend fellow Creeker Bob Rozaieski of the Logan Cabinet Shoppe. I had him do a pair of Disstons that belonged to my wife's grandfather. The came out great. I went for the "deluxe" package which included a dvd explaining things as he sharpened and the files and jigs he used to do it. Totally worth the $50 + shipping per saw.

Chris Vandiver
02-25-2011, 4:40 PM
Jonathon,
That is a Disston #12 handle, for sure. The saw plate is probably a Disston #12 as well, although handles sometimes get replaced on saws. If the medallion reads "PHILADA" the saw dates from 1896-1917. If the medallion reads "PHILA"the saw dates from 1917-1940(it appears to be one of those two medallions). Also, when you take the handle off, if there is an X on the top corner of the port side of the saw, under the handle, it's a #12. Note: Some of the later #12's didn't have an X.
Of course, when you scrape and sand the plate, you may find an etch that will positively identify the saw.

If you go to wkfinetools.com, there is plenty of good info on rehabbing a saw.

Charles McKinley
02-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Hi Johnathan,

Nice Saw. http://www.vintagesaws.com/cgi-bin/frameset.cgi?left=main&right=/library/library.html Vintage Saws has a nice tutorial and cleaning and sharpening saws. I would look for a $2.00 saw to prctice on first but it isnt rocket science.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/ Disstonianinstitute is a great source of information on all things Disston. The Blood and Glore of saws.