PDA

View Full Version : Veritas scraper adapter

john brenton
02-25-2011, 2:08 PM
I saw Rob Lee in the forum, and would have sent him a PM on it, but it's such a cool little gadget I wanted to share with the forum.

An older hand tool collector I sometimes buy tools from has a scraper adapter for metal planes. I saw it about a year ago and I didn't ask him much about it because it was in his personal tool section and he always thinks I'm trying to get his tools when I ask him about them...he has the most awesome selection. I believe it was Veritas. I assume it would work in a jack, but I would only use it in a smoother. I'm not sure if you use it with the lever cap on or off, or how it really locks in..but it converts your average metal plane into a scraper.

anywho, it just seemed like a really cool thing and with scraper planes going at such a premium I thought it was strange that I didn't see it in the Lee Valley catalog. Was it discontinued or did veritas even ever make it?

Peter Pedisich
02-25-2011, 2:10 PM
I think it's stiil in the catalog or on the website, I remember seing it recently.

john brenton
02-25-2011, 2:15 PM
Thanks Peter,

I didn't see it in the catalog, and I looked all over the internet...but after reading your post I tried again and found it right there on the website. Ok. At least maybe I just did a little PR for this product.

Jim Belair
02-25-2011, 5:07 PM
I don't think you'll find the scraper adapter is "recommended" in any of the WW forums. I spoke to a salesman in one of the LV stores about it a year or so ago and even he steered me away from it (and not to buy something else either). Even Veritas (if it was even branded Veritas) came up with a few duds in my opinion.

Jim B

James Scheffler
02-25-2011, 6:37 PM
A generous fellow creeker sold me one for shipping cost a while back. It came to me nicely sharpened, and it kind of/sort of worked. I ended up picking up a Stanley No. 80 which worked extremely well, and I haven't gone back to playing with the LV unit. I think it might work better if you made a somewhat thicker blade for it.

Jim S.