PDA

View Full Version : ArmorCore

Jonathan Spool
02-25-2011, 1:36 PM
I have the opportunity to pick up some QS Oak sheets that are ArmorCore. Is this good product, or just a fancy way of naming an MDF product. Project is a built in wall display/curio cabinet. Is the ArmorCore fine for the carcass, or should I hold out for ply?
I went on the mfg site and one picture looked like 5 ply with mdf on the outside, yet the product I am looking at doesn't show layers at the edge.

J.R. Rutter
02-25-2011, 3:39 PM
The armorcore that I have is 5 ply - 3 inner wood and 2 outer mdf. Good stuff - nice and flat and no grain telegraphing through the veneer.

johnny means
02-25-2011, 5:27 PM
As a general rule, anything from Appleply is pretty good.

Peter Quinn
02-25-2011, 7:55 PM
I haven't used the apple ply armor core, but it is in the class of "combi core" products, meaning the core is a baltic birch type hardwood plywood with the final substrate being mdf for flatness and void free face veneer application. I have used another combi core product and it is excellent stuff. The face veneers look great even on dark woods like walnut that would easily telegraph any defects in the substrate of a full veneer core sheet good. So you get the strength and durability of plywood with the flatness and smoothness of MDF without all the weight, really the best of both worlds IME.

Jonathan Spool
02-26-2011, 12:02 AM
The seller sent me some close up pics. It looks like all MDF. Armorcore must have an all mdf line as well