PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Introduction and Tablesaw Question

Jon Farley
01-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Hi everyone. I have been lurking here at SMC for quite some time (learned a lot) and I finally decided to introduce myself and join the discussions. I have gradually gotten into woodworking over the last few years. It seems that over the last year or so, I've delved into it much more seriously. In that time I have taken an old 20' by 24' shed on our property and turned it into a dedicated workshop, complete with full insulation and a 100-amp sub panel. This is the first winter I've been able to work out there in relative comfort.

Though I have recently been aqcuiring better quality tools, much of my stuff could be classified as "entry level" and though it has all served my well, I am ready to make a move into some better quality equipment. The LOML has agreed that I can make some big-time upgrades to my equipment over the next couple months (as long as I eventually use it to make her a new armoire, corner cabinet, etc). These upgrades are most likely going to consist of a cabinet-style table saw, 8-inch jointer, and bandsaw in the 17-inch range. A 15-inch planer is also on the wish list, but trading up from my "lunchbox" to a bigger one isn't as much of a priority right now. This brings me to my first question. I will be getting a Grizzly table saw. I'm heavily leaning toward the 1023Z, but for an extra $100, I could get the 1023ZX with the 5hp single-phase motor instead of the 3hp. Would this be worth it? Besides electrical requirements, are there any disadvantages to getting the 5hp unit? Thanks for your input.

Tim Morton
01-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Welcome to the Creek, its a GREAT place to hang out and I have learned so much here in the past year. That being said, I think most if not everyone will agree that 3HP is plenty. Save the hundred bucks and put it towards a WW2 blade or a mobile base. And congrats on the LOYL being behind your future tool purchases, that makes it so much better. :D

Welcome again and the official welcome committee will be along shortly.

Frank Pellow
01-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Welcome Jon. Since you have been lurking for a while, I don't need to tell you waht a great site this is.

Grizzly is not marketed or well supported in Canada, so I can't advise you re your specific models. I can tell you that I had just about the same chioce with a General cabinet saw that I recently bought and I opted for the 3hp.

Rob Russell
01-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Jon,

Welcome to SMC. Having your other half supportive of your ww'g is great. Suggestion - don't start with the armoire!

I don't see Dust collection on your list. That really is a must - don't mess around there. Put the money into a good system and do the piping right so you get good airflow. That will be important for things like a 15" planer.

For the extra $100, is there anything else you get or is it just the 3HP? One advantage to the 5HP saw is that you can get a full-kerf saw blade which won't deform as much as a thin kerf blade, and you'll have the power to push a 3" thick oak plank through it without slowing down.

Rob

Joe Scarfo
01-20-2005, 10:50 PM
I have a 3 hp Unisaw and it's never run into trouble. I can tell when it strains because the whole saw takes on a whole new dimension in sound, but 3 hp has never even slowed down.

I alway say get more power if you can. If the 5 hp model hadn't been $250 more than the 3, I would've gotten the extra power just because you never know.

If I was in your shoes, I would be getting the 3hp and using the extra to get a high end blade.

Good luck w/ your choice. Either one is a good one.

Joe in Tampa

Jim Becker
01-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Welcome aboard, Jon. Nice to have yet another fellow Pennsylvanian hanging out! (I spent four years out in your neck of the woods in Centre County a number of years ago...)

I'm with the others...go with the 3hp saw and put a good blade on it. But consider the 1023S or 1023SL, rather than the Z model. Why? The fence. The ShopFox Classic fence on the "S" models is a Biesemeyer type fence and "most" folks prefer it over the fence that comes with the "Z" models. You might also consider the Bridgewood from Wilke down in York as an alternative as it's a little heaver saw with full 50" capacity for only a little more than the 1023 would be when you add the longer fence, etc. You have to pay tax either way due to your PA residency, but can save shipping for both by picking up. Neither vendor is a really long drive.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-21-2005, 12:39 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek Jon!

Cliff Newton
01-21-2005, 12:45 AM
I have the 1023S with the 3hp motor and it is plenty powerful. I've never been able to bog it down at all. Grizzly tools are great. My tablesaw, jointer, bandsaw, drill press and dust sucker are al Grizzly. I'm a big fan.

Christopher Stahl
01-21-2005, 12:48 AM
Welcome aboard! PA is well represented on the Creek. I'd follow what others have said, save the money and get the 3HP cause there are other places the money is well spent. Larger jointer always comes to mind. :)

It's definitely worth a trip down to York, but you'll find many people are thrilled with their 1023s. I personally bought my 3hp Unisaw at woodworkers which always has a great price for them and free shipping. Just another to throw into the bunch.

I believe Jim went to school here at good ole PSU. ;) Ditto.

chris

Jon Farley
01-21-2005, 7:32 AM
"I don't see Dust collection on your list. That really is a must - don't mess around there. Put the money into a good system and do the piping right so you get good airflow. That will be important for things like a 15" planer."

Rob, I guess I should mention I do already have a dust collector, the 2hp Grizzly w/ the 3 micron bag.

Jon

Jon Farley
01-21-2005, 7:49 AM
Chris and Jim. I too am a PSU grad. Chris, your picture looks familiar, Did you also attend PSU Mont Alto campus?

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am now leaning back toward the 3hp model. Another factor regarding the 5hp Grizzly model is that it is on backorder for what the customer service rep said might be 4 to 6 weeks, so maybe the 3hp unit is in stock. I would pick it up right at the showroom in Muncy. I might take a look at the Wilke, too, since it's probably the same distance for me.

Jon

Tim Morton
01-21-2005, 8:51 AM
You should seriously consider Jim beckers advice regarding the 1023SL series to get that nice classic fence...its a keeper!!! And as others may or not have pointed out, the bridgewood selling at Wilke right there in PA is a serious contender..John M has one and should be around this morning to offer his ..ummmmmm ..."opinion"
Good luck with the purchase.

Christopher Stahl
01-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Jon, I did indeed attend Mont Alto. Your name is familiar, but I'm not able to match a face. It's a small world. :)

chris

Alan Turner
01-23-2005, 4:03 AM
Jon,
Hello, from yet another Pennsylvanian. I have the 3hp Uni., and run a full 1/8" kerf WWII, and others that are full kerf as well. No problems with 12/4 hard maple.
Alan

Jerry Olexa
01-23-2005, 12:17 PM
Jon, Welcome!! I grew up (still doing so) in NE PA. and attended Penn State in State College, Pa (back when they still had a football team!) I know your area a bit and winters can be tough. Glad you're here!!:)

Jim Becker
01-23-2005, 2:09 PM
I grew up (still doing so) in NE PA. and attended Penn State in State College, Pa (back when they still had a football team!) Ditto! Honesdale--birthplace and graduate. Penn State March '79. Ditto on the "still growing up" part, too... :D

markus shaffer
01-23-2005, 4:29 PM
Jon,

I started a thread awhile back on this very subject. Might be worthwhile reading.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=1650&page=2&pp=15

I have since sold my Powermatic and my new saw has a 5.5 hp motor. Can't tell the difference ripping 3" thick hardwood. Seems pretty much the same on both saws in terms of power.

Good luck with your new purchases..

-Markus

Jerry Olexa
01-24-2005, 1:30 PM
Ditto! Honesdale--birthplace and graduate. Penn State March '79. Ditto on the "still growing up" part, too... :D
Yes, Jim, I'm a Pa guy also. Grew up in NE Pa and went to Penn State and enjoyed it. Good experience and after graduation joined P&G and started the traveling routine. We have moved 7 times and trust this one is our last! The promotions were good but each move was difficult for growing family. My wife is a saint and made it work! Still have loyalty to PSU (even in these dark Football Paterno years) and we visit back there occassionally. ( I miss scrapple, Bookbinders, cheese steaks. and periogie and of course, friends and family)).My years at Penn State were a little ahead of you (almost 20 years!) but i really did enjoy those years. Thanks for writing, Jim. I respect you even more now that I know you're a graduate of the GREAT school!! :) :D

scott spencer
01-24-2005, 8:42 PM
Welcome Jon! It's alot easier to just "ditto" Jim Becker than it is to retype everything! So....

Hey Jim....where'd you get that funky flying bird motorcycle helmet?

Jim Becker
01-24-2005, 8:45 PM
Hey Jim....where'd you get that funky flying bird motorcycle helmet?
Scraped it off the Eagles' web site and took away the trash in Photoshop...oh, you didn't want the technical explaination, eh?? :D

Christopher Stahl
01-24-2005, 8:46 PM
Jerry and Jim,
I'm a little younger pup, finished up in 96. I like State College, so I decided to stick around for a while. I worked for the University for a couple years and then decided to move to the Bay Area in Cali to work for Dreamworks for 3 years, but at the end of 2003 I decided to move back. Now I'm back at the University working away. :)

By the way, I'll never grow up. ;)

chris

Jon Farley
01-24-2005, 9:23 PM
Chris, so you did go to PSU Mont Alto the same time as me. I remember you. At the time you drove a red Geo tracker, right? I think we might have played intramural softball or basketball together. I'm stretching my memories now, but weren't you from Boiling Springs area? Am I thinking of the right person?

I don't know if you remember me, but I wore my hair very short (I was in the Marine Reserves at the time) and a lot of people referred to me by my goofy college nickname, which was "Nugget."

Jon

Christopher Stahl
01-24-2005, 9:32 PM
Now that you say Nugget, I remember you. Apparently, you remember me as I did grow up in Boiling Springs and had a Red Tracker at MA. :)

We should get together sometime. I'll send you a PM and we can chit chat.

chris

Dale Thompson
01-24-2005, 9:57 PM
Jon,
I'm with the majority of the folks on the 3 HP thing. My PM has never had a problem with anything that I have cut. It's usually Oak and sometimes quite thick. As stated, the blade can make a big difference. Go for the blade! :)

One other thought - the starting power "demand" for an electric motor is several times its "draw" when running. If your saw is running constantly, that may not be a problem. On the other hand, if you are a hobbiest like me, your saw is probably going to be turned on and off many times during a given woodworking session. In that case, a 5 HP vs a 3 HP motor may have a slight impact on your power bill.

That may be "nit-picking" but my sincere welcome to you to "The Creek" is not!! ;) :) WELCOME JON!! :cool: :)

Dale T.

Jon Farley
01-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Well, this thread sure has produced a lot of good, and much-appreciated advice. All this input has convinced me to go with a 3 h.p. saw, and based on some comments by Jim Becker, I think I'm going to go with the left-tilting Grizzly model because A) my present cheapo bench top saw is left tilting and that's what I'm comfortable with, and B) because the Shop Fox Classic gets higher marks.

If everything goes as planned I will head over to the Grizzly showroom and pick it up on Friday, and use the money saved by not getting a 5 h.p. saw to invest in a good blade and other extras.

Jon Farley

David LaRue
01-26-2005, 8:32 AM
Jon,

We'll want to see pictures!

:D

Jerry Ingraham
01-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Welcome Jon. I own a 1023 along with several other Griz tools and have been very satisfied with them all. That being said, I agree with Chris' suggestion to spend the extra $100 on a jointer upgrade instead. The 1023 3hp has all the power I can imagine anyone needing.