PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the UK.

Johnny Taylor
02-25-2011, 12:30 PM
I've just joined the forum and thought a hello was in order:) I've been turning since October 2008, I bought a cheap lathe as I fancied having a go and became instantly hooked on turning. I have since upgraded to a heavier,more powerful beast and am currently working on a new underground workshop(a 250 year old cellar conversion) to replace my current 12' x 8' wooden shed(theres hardly room to move in there!)
Here is a picture of the last thing I turned,its a candlestick turned for a monthly competition on a UK turning forum I also belong to.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/candlestick001.jpg

Johnny

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Johnny - Welcome to the Creek! Very impressive candle holder! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

John Keeton
02-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Great to have another UK creeker! Very neat candlestick - lot of contrast in form and color. We love pics, so make sure to post more projects.

BTW, which lathe did you end up with?

bob svoboda
02-25-2011, 1:02 PM
Welcome indeed! Your candle holder is marvelous. Glad to have you aboard, will look forward to seeing more of your work.

Scott Hackler
02-25-2011, 1:03 PM
Welcome to the Creek. You will quickly find out that 1) there are some very talented turners here and 2) there are some very generous turners here, willing to teach and share.

Can't wait to see pictures of what all you have and will make.

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2011, 1:31 PM
Welcome to Creek. Really an nice candle holder. Look forward to seeing more.

Baxter Smith
02-25-2011, 1:33 PM
Welcome and a very good looking candleholder!

Steve Mawson
02-25-2011, 1:34 PM
Welcome aboard, always glad to have more folks. Especially from the UK where my family came from back in the 1850's. Nice work BTW.

Johnny Taylor
02-25-2011, 1:37 PM
Thanks for the welcome!
I have a Record Power Maxi2 which is based on a Woodfast. It can turn 20" diameter over the bed and much bigger outboard at the back.

Jon Nuckles
02-25-2011, 2:00 PM
Welcome, and nice first project posting!

Tim Thiebaut
02-25-2011, 2:18 PM
Hi Johnny welcome, there are a lot of very nice and helpful people here, I think you will enjoy it a lot. Very nice candle holder you have there!

David E Keller
02-25-2011, 4:01 PM
Welcome aboard! The holder looks nice, and I hope you'll continue to share your turnings here.

Mark Hubl
02-25-2011, 4:11 PM
Welcome, nice work. Hope to see more.

Jim Burr
02-25-2011, 4:41 PM
Welcome Johnny!! So a few details on your candle stick! Wood used, finish, dimensions, who made the candle (my wife makes candles). The most pressing issue would be...did you win? Cheers!!

charlie knighton
02-25-2011, 5:15 PM
very nice, welcome

Roger Chandler
02-25-2011, 7:57 PM
Good stuff there! Nice concept on a unique candle holder. Welcome to the "creek" .......... post more of your work when you can, and a picture or two of that workshop when you get it finished!

Josh Bowman
02-25-2011, 8:57 PM
Johnny, welcome to the creek! Love the candle stick holder. Hope you post more.

Richard Madden
02-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Welcome, Johnny. Come on in, have a seat and relax. We can see that you do some nice work and we hope you will be sharing more.

Michael James
02-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Welcome! That's a nicely detailed opening piece. I'm 2 yrs behind you - we love pic tutorials too!;)

Johnny Taylor
02-26-2011, 5:07 AM
Thank you all for the very warm welcome,its made me feel right at home:)

Welcome Johnny!! So a few details on your candle stick! Wood used, finish, dimensions, who made the candle (my wife makes candles). The most pressing issue would be...did you win? Cheers!!

Oops forgot to put any details:o The whole thing is made from 3 pieces of Sycamore,the disc is 6" in diameter and its 9" tall without the candle. Its coloured with acrylics and finished with a satin lacquer. I borrowed the candle from a buddy as we didn't have a chunky one at hand, lol. The judging is ongoing with the results on the 28th.

Good stuff there! Nice concept on a unique candle holder. Welcome to the "creek" .......... post more of your work when you can, and a picture or two of that workshop when you get it finished!

I will Roger,the workshop has been a really interesting project, the building that the cellar was part of was demolished some 50 years ago! We've named it 'The Batcave' lol

Keith E Byrd
02-26-2011, 7:22 AM
Welcome to the Creek - and that is a great candelstick holder!

Johnny Taylor
02-27-2011, 4:19 AM
Once again thank you for the really warm welcome,I've been looking through some pages of threads and there is some wonderful work posted here. I think I will enjoy being part of this community.

Johnny