PDA

View Full Version : Lacquer over shellac

Joe Kieve
02-25-2011, 11:15 AM
I need to finish a small cabinet I built for a friend. It's stained and ready for finish (Sherwin-Williams oil base stain over birch ply). I have some nitrocellulose lacquer but no sanding sealer. Can I use shellac if I thin it as my sealer coat and then put lacquer over it?
Can't believe how hard it is to find furniture grade lacquer sanding sealer and lacquer in small, quart quantities. Gallons, I can find but it would go bad before I used that much.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Joe

Prashun Patel
02-25-2011, 11:23 AM
You can spray lacquer of dewaxed shellac.

The Lowes near me sells $5 spray cans of Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer. That might be easier. I also love the rattle cans of Deft Finish. It dries so quick; no cleanup. Nozzle doesn't clog.

Dave Gaul
02-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Why yes, yes you can! I recently finished the top of a maple night stand with a 2lb cut of shellac (from fresh flakes), then top coated with several coats of Deft brushing lacquer, then wet sanded & buffed.

Shellac works great as a seal coat.

Joe Kieve
02-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Thank you so much for your quick replies. Gonna "get er done" this week-end. Ready to get it out of my shop and move on to something else.:)
Thanks again guys.

joe

Steven Hsieh
02-25-2011, 7:01 PM
Howard E

Correct me if im wrong.

Problem with shellac is that it is softer than the catalyzed lacquer
finishes and they move at different rates. It leads to crazing or alligator skin in the finish over time?