PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Laserpro Spirit

Hannu Rinne
02-25-2011, 9:36 AM
Hi all,

For some reason I can't get my laser work with continuous firing ( PPI setting disabled and turned to "X" ). I can put this setting on the print driver but when I send the file to laser, laser control panel shows there is max PPI setting (1524) in use. I've reinstalled the print driver and the usb driver but still no change... Could this be some firmware problem :confused:

Regards,
Hannu

PS. Is it possible to change the forum language to finnish ? :D:D

Scott Challoner
02-25-2011, 10:36 AM
I just ran a quick test with my Spirit set to X and the control panel said 1525. I don't think it ever says "X". Maybe try different colors and see if it's the same.

HTH

Scott

Rodne Gold
02-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Its not a problem , the laser will never fire continuously

Hannu Rinne
02-25-2011, 3:49 PM
Thanks for the answers,

I start to be skeptical about myself, but I could almost swear there was X in the panel... Anyway, reason why I started to wonder about it shows in the picture. I have recently cut some round and oval shapes and the results are as in the picture. Cuttings are made with 100P - 6S - X/1525PPI using "quality vector" mode (even with enhanced vector mode on). Just my opinion but the quality of the edge isn't what it should be...:confused:

Regards,
Hannu

Richard Rumancik
02-25-2011, 7:21 PM
Its not a problem , the laser will never fire continuously

Rodne, I'm confused as to what you mean - GCC says that the laser tube will fire continuously; can you elaborate?

Rodne Gold
02-26-2011, 2:39 AM
Richard , as per manual - X is the maximum which disables PPI control function -which means no power ramp - in my book that seems to mean it fires at max pulse rate and the energy is constant across the pulse rate and it wont change the pulse rate for corners etc.
Those circles are really bad re edge quality - looks like some motion system slop or dirty shaft encoders , try reduce speed to under 3% and power to suit. Are the circles actually circles in the Corel file?
Using high PPI's with pex often doesn't work that well , you need enough heat in the material to get a nice melt , too much heat and too low a air assist pressure sometimes makes for a lot of melt that re-solidifies and then "breaks" leading to striations , however your pic looks like the circle has been bitten out , your striations arent "flats" but 1/2 moons , which makes me think there is some problem with the motion system.

eduard rodriguez
02-26-2011, 3:04 AM
Seting the DPI's to 1000 helps to me to get cleaner cuts with my spirit..

Andrea Weissenseel
02-26-2011, 4:44 AM
Mine also says 1525 in the display, when setting is X

The edges of my cuts are not as bad in the picture, but I definitely see the marks as well. IMHO this has gotten worse since I updated the firmware on my laser after I had some problems with my Spirit. My dealer told me that brand new Spirits have the same problem when cutting arcs, so this confirms my assumption.

Andrea

Rodne Gold
02-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Your dealer is talking nonsense - we have 3 spirits - old ones and they dont have issues cutting arcs or circles , if my circles looked anything like the ones in the pics and my dealer told me that it was normal , the laser would go back to the manufacturer and I would buy a different model. One never get absolutely perfect circles , there is a degree of striation but it doesn't look like a rat has nibbled em out :)

Hannu Rinne
02-26-2011, 2:41 PM
Definitely it's a question of the speed. Attached picture shows the results made with settings S3-P80-DPI 500-PPI 1200. I didn't realize that increasing the speed even from 3% to 4% will affect so much, so the 6S was a disaster :o. I think I could still get better results playing with speed-power-PPI settings, but this quality is good enough for my needs at the moment. Thanks Rodne and thanks to all ! ( but I'm still wondering the "X" case :D )

Regards,
Hannu

Richard Rumancik
02-26-2011, 6:57 PM
Richard , as per manual - X is the maximum which disables PPI control function -which means no power ramp - in my book that seems to mean it fires at max pulse rate and the energy is constant across the pulse rate and it wont change the pulse rate for corners etc. . . .

Well, I suppose they could have put the X at either end of the slider - having at the top end (maximum end) made you think it was defaulting to "maximum" pulse rate possible . But that is not what GCC says. They say if you select "X" then there is NO pulsing i.e. the laser fires continuously. Maybe they should have put the X at the other end of the slider? Regardless, X= continuous firing. You are correct about power ramp; GCC says it gets turned off. I'm not sure why GCC programmed it like that though. Seems that you should be able to have continuous beam on the straight sections and still have power ramp on the corners. And they should have been able to send something other than "1525" to the display to make it obvious that the X setting is being acknowledged by the firmware.

Rodne Gold
02-27-2011, 2:41 AM
Their manuals and their driver settings/explanations of functions are dreadful - a lot of stuff is unexplained and totally confusing - like that table for "enhanced" vector mode , apart from that some stuff acts differently when speeds reach a certain threshold. However it is a great driver with some real nice functions especially the positioning and optimising stuff.
I also think , but may be mistaken, that you can turn off ramping at the control panel of the laser - I have staff that run mine so havent fiddled for some time with the lasers or the drivers.
Turning off ramping does help , we often engrave solid borders or other stuff as vectors(with a few offsets/contour) and if you leave ramping on , the corners of squares or anything that has a "corner" doesn't engrave properly , they are thinner than the straight lines.. what you need to avoid this is control of specifically how the laser ramps..