PDA

View Full Version : Idiot in ATL needs help with PC 690 Plunge base

Kent A Bathurst
02-25-2011, 8:00 AM
OK - here's my problem - I can't figure out how to re-assemble the spring-loaded depth locking handle on the plunge base for a PC 690.

Fasteners came loose, and I pulled it off to be sure anything hidden behind the handle was tightened. I did not look carefully at how the spring fits into the assembly when I took it apart, and I am very high on the aggravation meter at this point in my attempts to figure it out for re-assembly. Nothing in manual or on-line parts suppliers shows this detail. All on-line photos are of the other side of the base.

> The spring has a "long" end extending from the coil, and a "short" end.
> The plunge base has a small pin protruding from it.
> The plastic handle has a relief or slot along part of the bottom.
> The handle also has a small channel that would allow the long end to extend up into the backside of the handle[if that's where it goes].

Q#1: One end of the spring rests against the protruding pin. Is this the short end or the long end?

Q#2: The other end fits into the handle. Does it go in the open slot at the bottom of the handle, or up the channel into the handle itself?

If anyone took a photo of that part of the base, I maybe could see where the long spring shows from behind the handle.

For you fans of the earlier stuff by Robert Earl Keen: "It's the little things, the little bitty things........."

Thanks

Kent

Harry Hagan
02-25-2011, 3:08 PM
If this isn't the correct base, you should be able to find it on one of many replacement part websites. Good luck.

Kent A Bathurst
02-25-2011, 5:56 PM
Yeah, Harry, thanks - that's it. I've got that document, but I don't "get it". The orientation for the spring shown on the diagram isn't working for me.

Michael MacDonald
02-25-2011, 6:24 PM
Kent -- you want a close-up picture from my 690 tonight? would I be able to get an angle on what you are needing without getting into your predicament myself? if I remember correctly, the back is open and one can see in there... my level has a plastic stop as well that I once blew past so I was looking in there at onoe point--I assume that is not right and I am gentler on it now.

Harry Hagan
02-25-2011, 7:19 PM
This should help.

Kent A Bathurst
02-26-2011, 9:54 AM
This should help.

It helps a lot. Thanks much, Harry - very kind of you to take the photos and annotate.

I'll attack that sucker once again this afternoon - gotta get a couple projects done, and get a 6-pack, then go for it. :D