PDA

View Full Version : Shop Pictures

Keith Westfall
02-25-2011, 2:01 AM
I posted some pictures in the Shop Forum, but wanted to put some lathe pictures here...

Haven't taken any pictures of things made mostly for Christmas - will have to start doing that I guess...

See so much excellent work on here I'm almost afraid to show & tell!

Keith

Lathe Delta LA200 with on board tool caddy

Wall tool rack

Steady rest (note the pretty wheels when they spin!) and finishing up a candle holder for a wedding present next month.

Matt Ranum
02-25-2011, 1:29 PM
Nice job on that steady!

Jon McElwain
02-25-2011, 1:38 PM
Nice job on that steady!

+1 on the steady. Would you mind giving a little review on how it is working for you?

Steve Mawson
02-25-2011, 1:39 PM
Go ahead and show and tell. I have never saw anyone made fun of here on the Creek, no matter what you have made and some of mine have been pretty average.

Tim Thiebaut
02-25-2011, 2:23 PM
Very nice, and great job on that stead rest, I have been thinking about making one of those myself, but I am so slow at turning as it is I hate to take any time away from turning for other projects. Dont worry about posting pics of the things you make, everyone here is very supportive and they give lots of encouragement regardless of the persons skill level, I have been posting since my very first project 3 months ago and have NEVER heard a negative word from a single person on this forum, good people here, this place is a lot different then some of the other forums you will find out there on the web. Tim

David E Keller
02-25-2011, 3:56 PM
Looks like a nice setup. I look forward to seeing some of your finished work.

Michael E. Thompson
02-25-2011, 4:15 PM
I like your steady rest. Much better looking than mine.

Keith Westfall
02-26-2011, 8:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies and support. A few have asked for a bit of information on the steady rest, so I have some pictures (and some not so good pictures) showing a bit more detail...

I cut the openings on the bandsaw (entrance cut right at the bottom of the circle and then guide strip glued on) and sanded on the OS. Slots for the arms were cut by hand and chiseled out, if I did it again I would try a jig for the router I think.

Slots in the arms were cut on the router table with a spiral bit.

Seems to work - especially the lights! Guess they were off kids skates, as they light up when they turn :D

Bottom detail - wire is a bit different but it keeps the nuts and washers from rotating, and I don't have to use a wrench on the bolt heads.

Poor picture showing length of arm

Showing both inside and outside measurements

Thickness is 2 pieces of 1/2 inch baltic birch. One thinckness was cut away for each arm location.
1 & 1/2 arms

184346 184347
Bottom detail.