PDA

View Full Version : HF on stik

Dennis Ford
02-24-2011, 9:41 PM
Another one of those stick things. This one is Maple and Rengas; 11-1/4" overall height. Just shot the lacquer today, will buff it out in a few days. I tried a little different shape with the pedestal and finial. C & C welcome.

John Keeton
02-24-2011, 9:46 PM
Very nice piece, Dennis, and a beautiful wood combo! I am not familiar with Rengas, but it sure looks nice with that spectacular piece of maple.

I just looked up Rengas. Apparently, the black sap from the Rengas is nasty stuff!! Some serious irritant. Hopefully, the timber itself is not a problem.

David E Keller
02-24-2011, 9:47 PM
Wow... That's beautiful wood all the way around. I've only turned a little bit of rengas for pens, but none of it was a pretty as what you've got there. If I were to be critical, I think the main form is a bit wide for the sticks you've turned, and the base of the pedestal strikes me as being a bit thick. The likes and dislikes on these pieces are soooo subjective. The finish is lovely, and I like the sweeping curves of the pedestal/finial. Thanks for sharing.

Allen stagg
02-24-2011, 9:53 PM
That is beautiful. Great job. Nothing to critic as it looks great.

Brian McInturff
02-24-2011, 10:22 PM
That's a real eye catcher. Nice all the way around. Good form and finish. That Maple has a lot going on with it. Beautiful.

Baxter Smith
02-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Never heard of Rengas but it looks great. Great piece of maple too! Very pretty turning!

Dan Forman
02-24-2011, 10:49 PM
The woods do go beautifully together. I haven't turned any finials yet, but I think the proportions are about right, as the form itself is fairly large. Only suggestion I would make is that the sharp shoulders on the top of the bottom of the base might be rounded off a bit more, (but keeping the sides slanting in) to harmonize with the rounded shoulders of the form. The finish looks great and the woods are nicely figured.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
02-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Beautiful piece and wood combo. Never heard of or turned rengas. Sure is some pretty wood.

Steve Schlumpf
02-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Nice work Dennis! Great looking chunk of Maple!

Richard Madden
02-24-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm another who has never heard of rengas, sure looks good. Nice job on the entire piece. The base might be a little thick, but all in all, a great job. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle Rich
02-25-2011, 6:04 AM
the wood combo is delightful

Jim Burr
02-25-2011, 9:51 AM
Beautiful effort Dennis...with that kinda of wood, it's hard to go wrong.

Ron Bontz
02-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Excellent work.

Jon Nuckles
02-25-2011, 2:20 PM
The combination of grain, stripe and spalting on the maple is fantastic, and your turning and finishing shows it off nicely. Sure can't tell from these pictures that it hasn't been buffed yet. Also really like the finial, but would probably go a different way with the bottom of the pedestal.

Michael E. Thompson
02-25-2011, 3:47 PM
What David said. Really beautiful wood.

Wow... That's beautiful wood all the way around. I've only turned a little bit of rengas for pens, but none of it was a pretty as what you've got there. If I were to be critical, I think the main form is a bit wide for the sticks you've turned, and the base of the pedestal strikes me as being a bit thick. The likes and dislikes on these pieces are soooo subjective. The finish is lovely, and I like the sweeping curves of the pedestal/finial. Thanks for sharing.

Mark Hubl
02-25-2011, 4:39 PM
Really nice "stick thing" Dennis. The wood and combo are beautiful. I am in the "little wide" camp. And, maybe not even that. I have seen pieces with similar proportions done. It might just be the bottom curve of the hollow form. Looks like it has a little extra bend. Finial/Pedestal look good to me, nice proportions, pedestal could have a bit more curve in the waistline. Good work.