PDA

View Full Version : Sycamore goblets

Dennis Ford
02-24-2011, 9:32 PM
I am doing a demo Saturday; "Natural Edge Goblets" so made a practice run today. I have done these in several woods but these are the first time I have made them from Sycamore. It is a little bland but cut nicely. Turned them this morning, microwaved them after lunch and finished them (lacquer) this afternoon. I am not sure how much buffing they will get but that will have to wait a few days. The taller one is 7-1/4" tall x 3-1/4" dia. The other is 6-3/4' x ~3".

David E Keller
02-24-2011, 9:35 PM
Nicely done... These make great branch wood projects, and they definitely help develop some tool skills. Good luck on the demo.

John Keeton
02-24-2011, 9:35 PM
Dennis, those are really very nice!! Delicate stems and petite cups. I have turned a couple of pieces of sycamore, and it does turn very well. If you run into Ambrosia sycamore, it can be very attractive wood.

Good luck with the demo!! Sounds like a great topic.

John W Dixon
02-24-2011, 9:40 PM
Nice work Dennis. We just had a demo on thin stemmed goblets at our club meeting last week. I'm hoping to give it a try this weekend. Good luck with your demo, looks like you are well prepared.

John

Thomas Canfield
02-24-2011, 9:42 PM
I'm looking forward to the demo. These are nicely done.

Baxter Smith
02-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Those look like they would be fun to try. Wish I could watch your demo!

Dan Forman
02-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Very nice, and dainty too! The form overrides the plainness of the wood.

Dan

Brian McInturff
02-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Why do I all of a sudden feel like it's time for a Martini... Good luck on the Demo. Looks like you will have a fun time!

Bernie Weishapl
02-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Really nice goblets Dennis. Good luck with the demo.

Steve Schlumpf
02-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Now those are nice! Looks like you are well prepared for your demo! Have fun!

Thomas Canfield
02-26-2011, 9:52 PM
Had to let eveereyone know that Dennis had a great demo today. The two goblets posted here were on display and show the skill and patience needed to make the delicate goblets. His handout sheet and techniques were excellent on his first piece until the final parting off, and a small knot on the stem gave out and had a failure, but all his steps and discussion were going great. His use of a small flashlight to monitor the thickness was really apparent on the TV monitor and the first time I have seen that used. A second goblet during demo also had a failure, but again the lesson for all of the vewiewing audience was probably greater than seeing a simpler goblet turned to completion. The demo did give me the confidence that I could turn a goblet (with some practice). Dennis did say that his success rate had gone up from 1 in 4 at start to now at least 1 in 2 and that the wood selection was important for success. I'm ready for Dennis to do another demo.

Ron Bontz
02-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Very nicely done. They look like they were just picked from the ground. Very natural looking.

Dennis Ford
02-27-2011, 2:16 PM
Thomas, thank you for the kind words. I knew that there was a high chance of a failure during the demo but it was looking OK up to the end. Turning these thin is flirting with failure but that makes success sweeter.

Had to let eveereyone know that Dennis had a great demo today. The two goblets posted here were on display and show the skill and patience needed to make the delicate goblets. His handout sheet and techniques were excellent on his first piece until the final parting off, and a small knot on the stem gave out and had a failure, but all his steps and discussion were going great. His use of a small flashlight to monitor the thickness was really apparent on the TV monitor and the first time I have seen that used. A second goblet during demo also had a failure, but again the lesson for all of the vewiewing audience was probably greater than seeing a simpler goblet turned to completion. The demo did give me the confidence that I could turn a goblet (with some practice). Dennis did say that his success rate had gone up from 1 in 4 at start to now at least 1 in 2 and that the wood selection was important for success. I'm ready for Dennis to do another demo.

Kelvin Burton
02-27-2011, 9:22 PM
Dennis, I too appreciated your demo on Saturday. Don't think I'm quite ready to try these yet but it was really good to see your technique. Thanks for posting and for a great demonstration!

Lee Koepke
02-27-2011, 9:28 PM
well having a turning break during a demo makes everyone else feel OK about what they do.... since it happens at home all the time!!!

I have yet to (successfully) attempt very thin turnings, but I will do them eventually!