PDA

View Full Version : a couple of pens, one almost didn't make it...

Russell Eaton
02-24-2011, 9:11 PM
I turned a couple of pens this week due to lack of time. I have a couple of projects that I am planning for the weekend. I used a bandsaw to cut the lower tube in the cigar pen, and had to make a longer spacer for the nib end of the pen on the metal lathe. The wood is a piece of Black Ash burl from a local retailer. The second pen is a Vertex pen for PSI and I like the click action on this kit. It is very slick. The wood is died figured maple with some aluminum flashing for the transitions. I save my cutoffs and that is what I used for this pen. It is tough to cut the small pieces and get the grain going in the same direction. Hope you enjoy, Russell

James Combs
02-24-2011, 9:17 PM
Really like the first one. The second one doesn't do a lot for me but is certainly executed well. I have done the flashing style as well. Nice display stand too.

Matt Ranum
02-24-2011, 9:23 PM
I'll echo James' comments. Nice work, especially the first one!

Russell Eaton
02-24-2011, 9:29 PM
I am partial to the first one as well. I chose the red and black for the Ga. Bulldog colors, they are popular around here.

John W Dixon
02-24-2011, 9:48 PM
I like em both but wow that first one just makes ya stare at it. Nice job on both. The stand is a really cool idea too.

John

Bernie Weishapl
02-24-2011, 11:35 PM
Really nice pens. I like them both but the first one caught my eye.

John Terefenko
02-24-2011, 11:51 PM
I also like the first one the best and it has a nice line to it. Thanks for showing.

Dan Hintz
02-25-2011, 7:02 AM
Being more of a "mechanically minded" type of guy, I'll go against the grain and say that although the first one is very nice, the second one is very cool.

Jim Burr
02-25-2011, 9:24 AM
Wow Russell! That burl is amazing...very well displayed on the cigar. The Vortex hasn't caught on with me yet, but that is a great job of slice-and-dice!