PDA

View Full Version : ROS: How to decide which is best for you?

Gerald Jones
02-24-2011, 7:49 PM
I am in the process of buying a new ROS and there are so many out there with different features its hard to decide. The Bosch 1250 with the turbo feature is very intriguing, plus the motor size is twice the amperage of the throw aways. The Metabo is similar to the Bosch but have never heard of the brand. Or do you buy the $50 to $100 model and live with it. What do you all think??

Van Huskey
02-24-2011, 8:03 PM
I am not a big fan of the angle grinder format sanders, if I need a lot of stock removal I usually have something that will work better with less effort. I like the palm format ROS better. I have a Bosch 3727 which is my favorite ROS I have owned but if/when I replace it it will be a Festool ETS 150, the ETS is better but may not be worth double the price for some people since the Bosch 3727 is an excellent sander. I have several cheaper 5" sanders but tend to grab the Bosch no matter what. At some point I think I would like to have both the Festool 125 and 150. Lots of people love the angle grinder type ROS but not me.

If you are sold on the "angle grinder" dual action sanders also look at the B06040 if you don't want to spend Festool Rotex money.

In general I am more than willing to get the better sander, I hate sanding enough even with an excellent sander!

keith ouellette
02-24-2011, 11:53 PM
I was shocked how well my HF random orbit sander worked. I had a dewalt (forget the model number) and the pad ripped off it and I needed a sander in a hurry and bought one of the blue ones from harbor freight. I do some painting now and then to get some extra money and use the ROS all the time. Furniture, dry wall repair and the like. I have even used it about 7 times to narrow doors that rub. Its one of the tools at harbor freight I recommend without hesitation. I know it works just as good if not better than the dewalt it replaced. If you want dust collection then its a no go. If you want to save $$$$$ then its the way to go.