PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox Industrial TS fence

Matt Winterowd
02-24-2011, 7:20 PM
Anyone have the Shop Fox "Industrial Rip Fence"? Not the Shop Fox Classic. I just saw it today on a Shop Fox w1819 Table saw, and I can't find it as a separate item in their catalog, only bundled with the saw. Anyway, it struck me as really smooth and just felt really solid. It has a little different head than most of the t-square fences in that it has little brackets at the ends of the head that wrap around the outside of the rail. Just wonder if anyone has any experience with it and how they like it.

The only picture I could find of it was on the saw or in the saw manual.

Norman Hitt
02-24-2011, 8:33 PM
I haven't seen one, but I would like to. I would guess that the tabs at the ends that come over the rail probably have a HDPE insert along the front edge of the rail and might eliminate any tendency for the fence to cock slighty when moving the fence and make it slide easier if you grab the fence wrong when you want to move it. Not really necessary but might be a little "Nicety" to have.;)

Dick Brown
02-24-2011, 8:35 PM
Hi,
I have built some Biesemeyer clones and did just that on the ends of the "T" angle. Boy, it really works good. Keeps them at a true 90 when moving them, no movement when you clamp it down, ect. I just tapped the small angle piece that I welded on with 1/2" USS thread, bought some 1/2" UHMW rod and threaded it, cut off short sections, cut a screwdriver slot in them and your in biz. Found that if I screw a 1/2" nut on, keeps the srewdriver slot from stripping out and also locks it after you get everything set just right.I have a S.F. Classic and a Biesemeyer on my saws and will be doing that to them soon.
Dick

Cary Falk
02-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Looks like the fence that is on the G0690/691. There should be plenty of people that have it.

Matt Winterowd
02-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Good eye, Cary. I looked on the Grizzly site to see if they carried the fence separately, but didn't get around to looking at the Griz saws. Maybe I'll give them a call.

Mike Tekin
02-25-2011, 1:59 PM
I just took delivery of a new Shop Fox W1819 tablesaw with this fence...it is a nice fence! I have owned the Delta T2 and other similar style fences and strongly concluded that this fence is the best one I have had. I like the fact that it has nicely machined set screws to hold the fence tight to the rail when it slides. Also, it is very substantial in weight and quality in my own opinion.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details

Matt Winterowd
02-25-2011, 2:13 PM
Thanks, Mike! Could you measure the rail tubing? I'm curious if it's standard 2x3.

keith jensen
02-25-2011, 2:36 PM
One of the newer craftsman saws has a fence with the same "wings" as the steel city. You can order the parts for it online from sears parts. I can't remember which model number it was now though. I just bought the biesemyer fence instead.

Matt Winterowd
02-25-2011, 3:09 PM
Actually, I did notice the Steel City fence was similar. However, they actually had them side by side at the store I was at, and it didn't seem to function as nicely as the Shop Fox. Could have been an adjustment issue, but the other difference was that the SC fence has the faces held on with clips, which in my experience is an invitation for the faces to warp. The SF model had the faces screwed down solidly along the whole fence.

Matt Winterowd
02-25-2011, 3:54 PM
Just got a response from the Woodstock Intl folks. The fence isn't currently available as a stand-alone accessory (although you could order it from parts for $$$). However, they are planning to start offering it separately sometime in the next couple of months.