PDA

View Full Version : Wax in the crannies question

Michael Barry
01-20-2005, 7:08 PM
I turned a Myrtle Burl bowl for my neighbor. After buffing it out with the Beall system the little burly type imperfections have wax stuck in them. I tried using a toothbrush to try to clean it out but to no avail. the wax really detracts from the look of the bowl, IMHO. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-20-2005, 7:18 PM
I turned a Myrtle Burl bowl for my neighbor. After buffing it out with the Beall system the little burly type imperfections have wax stuck in them. I tried using a toothbrush to try to clean it out but to no avail. the wax really detracts from the look of the bowl, IMHO. Any ideas on how to get it out?

I don't know for sure, but can you heat the bowl a little and melt the wax without hurting the finish? :confused:

Bruce ;)

Michael Barry
01-20-2005, 7:22 PM
I don't know Bruce. Maybe I'll microwave it or leave it out in the sun tomorrow

Michael Barry
01-20-2005, 8:04 PM
Microwave didn't work.

Joe Melton
01-20-2005, 8:21 PM
You might try a rag soaked in paint thinner.
Joe

Michael Barry
01-20-2005, 8:27 PM
Paint thinner didn't work either.

Jim Ketron
01-20-2005, 9:34 PM
Did you use the white diamond on it? or just the carnauba wax?
I know they say not to use white diamond on dark woods. that stuff is tuff to get out! also you might be using to much wax on your wheel it only takes a sec to load the buffing wheel.
Jim

Michael Barry
01-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Yeah Jim, I used the diamond paste. Should I start over but skip the diamond paste?

Jim Ketron
01-20-2005, 11:33 PM
I dont think that would help to do over the buffing!
you might try to wet sand by hand starting with 400 grit and work your way up to the highest grit you use I have never tryed it but it might just work!
Then buff with the Tripoli and the Carnauba wax
That old White Diamond is bad news on dark wood and darker parts like inclusions.
Maybe some one else will chime in with something that they have used!
BTW Thats a nice bowl!!!!!!!
Jim

John Shuk
01-20-2005, 11:39 PM
I know it's a little late but I have heard that if you have imperfections wax isn't a good idea. I would get a dental pick and work on it manually. Time consuming yes but you should be able to do well. it is a nice bowl and worth the effort. Sometimes there is just no quick fix. I think you did a great job on the bowl. The form is really attractive and appropriate to the piece. Good luck.
john

Michael Barry
01-21-2005, 4:50 AM
Thanks John, I' ll try that. Maybe I can do some cleaning on myself while I'm at it. This is only the second time I've used my new Beall system so its still a learning experience. Let's review....No white diamond on dark woods....avoid waxing over imperfections and inclusions...Any thing else I should know?

Fred LeBail
01-21-2005, 8:43 AM
Have you tried blowing out the areas with compressed air ?
Fred

Jerry Clark
01-21-2005, 9:28 AM
I would try a stronger thinner like laquer or acetone with a tooth brush. I really like the form and color of the bowl. We all learn from the mistakes- even if it is not ours!

Michael Barry
01-21-2005, 3:45 PM
Compressed air didn't work. I'll try acetone next. Thanks for the compliments on the bowl, it really is a nice piece of wood.

Michael Barry
01-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Buffed the bowl with the tripoli then scrubbed it with a toothbrush dipped in acetone. This seems to have cleaned off most of the debris. I put on another coat of Waterlox. We'll see how it looks tomorrow.