PDA

View Full Version : Saving Epilog Print Files

Larry Folk
02-24-2011, 4:38 PM
I am using Corel x4 and after you have used the dashboard to setup an engraving job there is a button to check in the print dialog box if you want to print to a file instead of sending the file to the engraver. Do any of you use this option to save files for later engraving and if so how do you do it?
I am looking for a way to setup a job that will be repeated over time without needing to log into the Corel file each time to set it up.

Thanks

Larry Bratton
02-24-2011, 5:47 PM
Larry:
My EXT allows me to save files on the machine. If you have one you run often, save it on the machine. If your just wanting to save the Settings, hit the Advanced tab and give the settings you want to save a name and then you have reference. I don't think Printing to a File will do what your looking for.

Is your machine a Mini 24 or a Zing? The Mini has permanent file storage as a feature.

Larry Folk
02-24-2011, 6:24 PM
Larry,

I have a Mini 24. I cannot see where the Mini has a perment file storage. When we are running it the files are stored in the control panel so that we can rerun a job but whe the machine is turned off the files are deleted.
I want to be able to save the file so that someone can load the machine and select the file to run without needing to know how to access the file thru Corel.

Larry

Robert Walters
02-24-2011, 6:34 PM
The "Print To File" dialog box under windows (any version) creates a file that can be directed to the printer (laser in this case) that has the drivers installed.

The simplest way is to literally drag and drop the file created on the printer (laser) icon.

There will be no dialog boxes, or pop-ups, and you might not even notice that anything happened unless you look at the print queue or if your printer (laser) has a display on it.

These files used to be named *.PRN, so if you save the file, try to use the .PRN extension for consistency.

Larry Bratton
02-24-2011, 7:46 PM
Larry:
Check this link on the Epilog site http://www.epiloglaser.com/legend_features.htm However, you are limited to 10 files.
I tried what Robert said in the previous post but it didn't work for me. I dropped the Epilog printer icon on the desktop and dragged a prn file to it and it gave me an error saying it had to be opened in the application to print it. Maybe there is another way.

Larry Folk
02-24-2011, 9:02 PM
Larry,

I also got an error mesage when I tried to drag the .prn file to the Epilog printer icon, which was a shortcut on my desktop.
My Mini is a 2009 model and when I looked at the features.htm the touch screen looks different from my model.
Maybe this is a feature of a 2010/2011 model.

Larry Bratton
02-24-2011, 9:36 PM
Maybe a dumb question but do you have the manual?

Larry Folk
02-24-2011, 9:55 PM
Nothing in my manual about permently saving files or being able to drag a .prn file to the printer icon.

Robert Walters
02-25-2011, 6:49 AM
Well, there are "other" things that can be done to make it work by "drag and drop" but they start getting technical in nature and I didn't want to mess anyone up (has to do with file associations).

PRN files have been around 20+ years, most don't even know of their existence.

http://filext.com/faq/print_from_prn_file.php

Larry Bratton
02-25-2011, 9:00 AM
Nothing in my manual about permently saving files or being able to drag a .prn file to the printer icon.

I dunno then. I just went by the info that was published by Epilog. Why don't you ask tech support. While your talking to them, suggest they make an improvement to the printing software that would allow saving the files and be able to recall them from within the driver?

I know it's not exactly what you want, but you could just give the settings the same name as your file and save them in your config folder. Make a note in the Corel file that it was saved,recall the settings when your ready and your good to go. That is on the Advanced tab in the Dashboard.

Jeff Belany
02-25-2011, 10:34 AM
I guess this is my personal rant but one of the most frustrating issues I have with my Epilog is the lack of any memory in the machine. These days, adding memory would not be very expensive and would add a lot to the machine. Even the 1998 LMI I used to run could store 99 jobs in the machine. It is very frustrating to me that a company like Epilog doesn't have a feature like this and seems uninterested in adding it. I do a lot of rerun work and it would be much easier to have the machine save the job with its setting for future use.

Just my opinion.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Larry Bratton
02-25-2011, 11:09 AM
I agree. I paid a ton for my EXT machine and for that I should have 10gb-not a measly 10MB.

Larry Folk
02-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Just talked to Epilog Tech support and making and using .prn files are not supported by the laser driver.
For machines that do not have the new style control pad there is an upgrade where you can replace the front panel with the new control panel, with a lead to the motherboard, and at least get some built-in memory. (64mb)

Larry Bratton
02-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Hummm..does that mean you have 64mb to store files? The standard has been 10mb for that purpose and you could only store 10 files max or less if u ate up the 10mb prior to reaching 10.

Jeff Belany
02-25-2011, 12:24 PM
I did check the Epilog site as someone suggested and I do see that the new machines are offering some (very limited) memory. With the extremely low price of memory these days why didn't they put a decent amount in? Would be nice if some very clever person could figure out how to retrofit a memory module that would plug in. Any techies out there? Lots of Epilog owners out there. Or just wishful thinking!!

Jeff in northern Wisconsin