PDA

View Full Version : 18g finish nailer

Jonathan Spool
02-24-2011, 1:30 PM
I am having trouble with my Bosch 18g nailer (hard to keep depth controlled), and am looking at getting something different. The two that I am interested in are the Grex (the newer GB model) and the Paslode (pneumatic). They both recieve high ratings. If the Grex performs anywhere near their 23g pinner, the thats the one for sure, but I heard that their original 18g gun had jamming issues. The Paslode is rated well but requires tools for depth adjustment. If anyone can tell me what Grex has changed with the new GB model over the original, I would appreciate it. Anyone have experience with either of these?
They will mostly be used in the shop, as I use a Paslode cordless for remodeling work.

Greg R Bradley
02-24-2011, 1:48 PM
I have the Grex P635 23ga pinner and agree that it is simply fabulous. Many people that bought any of the similar Grex pinners are so happy that they went out and bought other Grex products like the 18ga brad gun. I have never talked to anyone that bought any other Grex nailer that wasn't shocked to find they had bought junk. I do see that the new 1850GB looks like the 23ga pinners that work so well so I hope they fixed the problem. Are you going to be the beta tester and let us know how it works?

This seems to be the problem when companies make good stuff and junk since we are all used to thinking that a good company won't sell junk and a low end company doesn't have some stuff that is good.

If that Grex 1850GB unit turns out to be made by the same company as the P6xx pinners with the same quality control then it could be very nice.

Russell Smallwood
02-24-2011, 1:57 PM
Haven't used either of those specifically, but I have pretty much standardized on Hitachi nailers. I've never had a problem, they just keep going.

Kerry Kling
02-24-2011, 2:14 PM
I just replaced or backed up: pin nailer, brad nailer, finish nailer... with Bostich. All shop use. Haven't had any depth issues you described. I bought the Bostich because of its lightweight to counter all the arthritis in the back, neck and shoulders. Through the years working construction it has been Senco or Hitachi finish nailers. Both brands have been bullet proof for me. My Paslode gas finish nailer has been a joy as well.

Jonathan Spool
02-25-2011, 2:07 PM
Call me Beta Greg. I just ordered one, as from all I can tell it is made in the same manner as the pinner (whereas the original 1850 was not). I'll run it through some tests and let you know what I think.
Got my fingers crossed.

Greg R Bradley
02-25-2011, 6:54 PM
I looked over the info and it does look like it is similar to Grex's 23ga P6xx line, and very similar to the Cadex 18.50, which came out a couple months ago. I know a few people that bought those and they are very happy.

John TenEyck
02-25-2011, 7:56 PM
Call me Beta Greg. I just ordered one, as from all I can tell it is made in the same manner as the pinner (whereas the original 1850 was not). I'll run it through some tests and let you know what I think.
Got my fingers crossed.

When you get your new gun you can send me your Bosch. I love mine and have had no trouble with the depth control. Unbelievably light, great for use on a jobsite, especially overhead. Actually, I thought it was a joke when I got it and expected it to fail in no time. A year later it's still working fine.

Jonathan Spool
03-16-2011, 2:12 PM
I recieved my Grex 1850GB 18g brad nailer. So far I am very pleased with it, as it is performing on par with the 23g pinner. When in single shot mode, it sinks a 2" brad easily into even tropical hardwoods, but, when in rapid mode (keeping the trigger depressed, and firing the tool with the tip) brads were not countersunk in the hard woods. Just flush or slightly raised if I fired the tool quickly. I don't use the "quick" mode, so that doesn't make a difference to me, but it might for someone.
I fiddled with my Bosch Magnesium 18g nailer, and got it working fine. It too will sink a 2" brad into hardwoods with no problem, however, brad placement seems more difficult, and the driving ping makes a substantially larger indentation in the wood, than the pin of the Grex. For me, that the size of the countersink is not larger than the brad (or not much so) is my favorite feature of this nailer. Great for finer shop pieces. Pictures are comparing the size of the Grex18g to the Grex 23g, and of the countersunk brads of the Grex 1850GB, and the Bosch Magnesium.

Cody Kemble
02-11-2012, 1:01 PM
I bought an 1850GB this past week and am more than pleased with it. The line-up markings on the no-mar tip are a big help on detail work.

herman koza
08-21-2012, 5:06 PM
A note of clarification on Grex tools. I have been using their stuff for several years now. I own 7 in all, including 2 pinners, the older 1850 and the new 1850GB 18 gauge bradders, the hardwood flooring stapler, the concrete nailer, and an upholstery stapler. GREX tools seem to fall into two generations, namely; the more recent, ergonomically-designed ones and the older, pre-ergonomic tools(these are all more than 15 years on the market). My guess is that the tools that have been referred to above in less than glowing terms belong to the older group. These older tools in my experience are solidly built and extremely powerful. Definitely NOT JUNK! These are not nearly as refined as their pinners and the new 1850Gb bradder, but if you want a tool that will shoot 500 to 5000 shots a day for decades and at a great price too, get one of those older tools.

Rich Engelhardt
08-22-2012, 7:20 AM
I guess you feel pretty strongly about Grex eh?
I mean after joining over 5 years ago, you decided to break the ice by posting something...

Just kidding - just kidding...

Actually, I'm happy to hear that about Grex nailers. I bought a 15 ga. Grex two years ago when Woodcraft had it on closeout.
It wasn't until after I bought it, I started looking at the comments people had made about Grex guns, other than the 23 ga.
I've been using mine for two years and so far, mine has worked great.
How do I find out what generation my 15 ga is?