PDA

View Full Version : Abrasive Blasting

Chris Padilla
02-24-2011, 11:53 AM
I have a front door whose lacquer (?) finish has seen better days. It is made from straight-grained fir, I believe.

Anyone have any experience with using media blasting to clean things down to bare wood? It has panels and moldings and just doesn't look like much fun to strip it myself. Does one use glass beads or walnut shells or plastic pellets or what? I assume it will still need some sanding/scraping afterwards?

The door has dings and gouges and such that need filled so it will be painted.

Thanks

Bill Edwards(2)
02-24-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't know how available it is, but CO2 or dry ice blasting is becoming

very popular. Almost zero damage and mess.

Chris Fournier
02-24-2011, 12:08 PM
I've used this method to clean up wood but I wouldn't recommend it for your application especially given that the wood is fir. Even if you turn the pressure down the media will pummel the fir and the spring summer fibres will hold up differently.

I hate stripping finishes but the biodegradable stuff is relatively easy to use and would be the path I took. Actually I would likely just send it out for stripping.

Chris Padilla
02-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I am worried about the relative softness of the fir.

Dave Lehnert
02-24-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't know how available it is, but CO2 or dry ice blasting is becoming

very popular. Almost zero damage and mess.

Looks very interesting. This company, Cold Jet, is located here in Cincinnati.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T2ED4ZFkVQ

Bill Edwards(2)
02-24-2011, 1:04 PM
Thanks Dan... that's the program I saw awhile back.:D

Dan Hintz
02-24-2011, 1:07 PM
Another thumbs up for the CO2 blaster... no clean-up of blasting media afterwards (the CO2 sublimates), and it's quite gentle on wood.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-24-2011, 2:30 PM
Another thumbs up for the CO2 blaster... no clean-up of blasting media afterwards (the CO2 sublimates), and it's quite gentle on wood.

Can you say that here?:eek:

Dan Hintz
02-24-2011, 2:36 PM
Can you say that here?:eek:
Sure, because it only sublimates in black and white, not color ;)