PDA

View Full Version : I’m Not the First!

Steve Schlumpf
02-24-2011, 11:13 AM
I have a cousin who is the family historian and after seeing some photos of my turnings, sent me the following photos.

184031 184032 184030

This Chalice was turned by my Great-Great-Great-Grandfather, (my Great Grandma’s Grandfather) born 1840 and died 1888. We have no idea what year this was turned as there are no markings but feel safe to say that it was sometime following the Civil War. My cousin (a little older than I) remembers seeing this on display when visiting her Grandparents (my Great Grandparents) and when her Dad passed just a couple years ago, inherited it.

No idea what the woods are but whatever the glue (hide glue?) it sure has held through the years!

Just wanted to share a little family history! Thought it was pretty cool as it’s not every day you get to see a turning that is 123 to 146 years old!

Thanks for looking!

Russell Eaton
02-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Nice piece of family history. I love seeing things like that and hearing the story behind it. It makes you wander if your pieces will stand the test of time. Thanks for showing Steve.

John Keeton
02-24-2011, 11:27 AM
And, segmented at that!!! Steve, this is awesome stuff - really awesome! Family history is so interesting anyway, and to find out that you have a turning heritage is icing on the cake.

I have always felt that hide glue is the all round best adhesive - so long as the product is kept from the elements. It is plastic enough to move with the piece with changes in temperature, and it is proven. Nearly all of the furniture masterpieces used hide glue and they have survived the centuries. Even the Egyptians used it as much as 5,000 years ago!!

Keith E Byrd
02-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Steve,
That is really something. A great turning and a great heritage! Is his workshop still around?!!

Scott Hackler
02-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Thats really awesome Steve. I wish I had a turning from my g-g-g-great whoever. I would mark the bottom for future generations with the makers name and maybe his born/death dates. Then I would promptly make a new copy of this form and mark it with your name! Thanks for sharing.

Roger Chandler
02-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Very interesting piece of history there Steve. I think you should cherish it, and make sure it is kept as a family heirloom, or if some gallery or museum would want to display it for awhile, then it could be loaned for a time.

Fred Perreault
02-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Great post, Steve. It's been a long Winter, and I needed that. :)

Bill Bolen
02-24-2011, 11:51 AM
And a beautiful piece it is! Nice to know where one's talent comes from too...Bill...

philip labre
02-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Steve, what a great story and thanks for sharing.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Really special Steve, and I'm sure it wasn't his first or only turning either, to get to that level, he had some experience under his belt, makes you wonder where all the other pieces went to, and if more of them are still around.
Thank you for giving us a little look into the craftsmanship that was around in the earlier days :-)

Michael James
02-24-2011, 12:37 PM
WOW. very cool heriloom, there! Looks like you were born to turn!
Nice gift on your cousin's part.
mj

Steve Schlumpf
02-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Oops! I will have to go back and edit my thread - my cousin sent me the photos - NOT the Chalice! I wish! Sorry for any confusion!

Jim Adkins
02-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Oh Boy Steve....What a piece of work your G-G-G-whatever!! ancestor did. I bet it was done on a treadle lathe and like John said.....Segmented yet!! What a nice piece to have. Is there any evidence of spur drive marks on the bottom?? And yes, The secret is out about where ya got your turning skills!! Thanks for sharing.

Ron Stadler
02-24-2011, 1:06 PM
That's way cool, wonder if they actually used it for drinking:D and would have love to see the lathe he turned it on.

bob svoboda
02-24-2011, 1:13 PM
That's a family treasure for sure, Steve. Thanks for sharing a great story.

charlie knighton
02-24-2011, 1:20 PM
very nice, thanks for sharing

Richard Madden
02-24-2011, 1:29 PM
That is a neat piece!! Don't you wish it could talk. And as Leo said, there must be other pieces out there he turned. Thanks for sharing, and I hope it stays in the family.

Tim Rinehart
02-24-2011, 1:39 PM
Nice bit of history, and I'm sure a sense of pride for you Steve. No surprise where you get your talent...some people just have good genes!
Thanks for sharing that. What's the chance that you'll get to hold that chalice sometime? I'm sure your eyes will go over every bit of it in awe.

Bernie Weishapl
02-24-2011, 1:48 PM
Even so Steve that is some great history and a segmented piece. Thanks for sharing.

Tony De Masi
02-24-2011, 2:16 PM
Great piece of history and artwork. I hope your cousin cherishes it and understands what she has. Thanks for sharing Steve.

Jon McElwain
02-24-2011, 2:23 PM
What a great find! The pieces are well done too. Are those just really clean cuts on the goblet, or do you think sandpaper was around back then? Thanks for the post!

Jon Nuckles
02-24-2011, 3:42 PM
Very cool story, Steve. You should tell your cousin to take a photo looking just over the rim.;)

Dee Gallo
02-24-2011, 3:56 PM
Steve, that is such a cool discovery, it would be an amazing feeling to hold that in your hand knowing he held it in his. Do you think he was a "professional" woodworker or could this have been a hobby? I don't even know if there were such distinctions back then, but he created a beautiful piece. He would be proud to see you are displaying his woodturning genes today.

cheers, dee

Brian McInturff
02-24-2011, 5:59 PM
Steve you need to get some dimensions of the chalice and try and identify what woods he used so you can make an identical copy of it. You stumbled onto a piece of family history that every turner dreams of. Once you make a copy, every time you look at it you will think of him and have a sense of pride of the talent being passed down to you. We often wonder what draws us to the things we do. You have answered that my man. One in a million chances. Like winning the lottery. I'm happy for you!!

John W Dixon
02-24-2011, 9:55 PM
That is an awesome discovery Steve! Nice to know turning is deep in the roots of your family.

Baxter Smith
02-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Neat piece,neater story! Thanks for sharing.

Steve Campbell
02-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Thank you for posting this. It is hard to think about all the work that went into making that. The segments are all perfect. I have a hard time doing that with good power tools, Just try doing it by hand. I'm sure it was all done with hand planes and scrapers. Sure hope you can see it in person some day.

Steve

Michelle Rich
02-25-2011, 6:12 AM
Hey Steve: very cool history, appreciate you sharing it. John is right about glue. One of the problems today with segmented turnings is what has been termed "glue creep". (wood expands & contracts, glue does not) If this goblet has withstood 140 yrs, it is just amazing. Now we also know that elegant & great turning may be genetic!!! :-)

Roland Martin
02-25-2011, 7:04 AM
Wow, that is really neat, Steve. Obviously a very talented gentleman, as is his great-great-great grandson.

Jim Burr
02-25-2011, 9:20 AM
That is some amazing family history Steve. I'm really drawn to the quality of the segmenting. You should be proud to have inherited his genes!!

Jeff Nicol
02-25-2011, 9:39 AM
Steve, It looks to be a communion set with chalice for wine and bowl for the bread. The bowl looks to have been used a bit and that would be the perfect reason for the wear marks. Is there a religious connection with your long ago relative? It is a wonderful thing to have in a family and especially for you a many generation removed turner! I wish I had some of the things that are in my family history but it is a mess of lost connections and bloodline confusions on my Dads side but on my Moms side we can go all the way back to Ireland and England, somewhere one of my Aunts has a family crest from my Irish heritage but she is being a little stingy on sharing the whole thing after my Mom passed away. Maybe some day I will find an old turner deep in my background, but so far great moonshine is what my Great Granddad was known for!

Wonder find and thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone! I hope to be able to check this turning out in person some day!

Jeff - I did not take the photos and have to admit that I had trouble figuring out what was what when first looking at them. The center photo is actually the view when looking straight into the goblet portion. I think the turning is very interesting but like many here - I would like to check out the bottom of the Chalice because I feel it would reveal more of a history on how it was turned. Still - I am very amazed at the joinery - especially considering what tools were available at the time!

Scott Hackler
02-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Awe shoot. Appearantly I cant read correctly. I thought he had sent you the turning..... not some photos. Maybe one day you'll get the actual turning, if nothing more than to borrow it long enough to hold it and possibly copy its design.

Mark Hubl
02-25-2011, 5:01 PM
Thanks for sharing Steve. Awesome to see the piece. Glad it has been passed down and kept. Truly a treasure.

Curt Fuller
02-25-2011, 6:54 PM
Wow, that is so cool! What do you think they were turned on? A treadle lathe, bow lathe, maybe something steam powered? Wouldn't it be amazing to dig up some of his old tools!

Brian Effinger
02-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Great story. And that finally answers my question - your amazing skills are all genetic. :D

Paul Douglass
02-26-2011, 3:06 PM
That is just plain cool. Makes you wonder is someone will appreciate turning you have done, several generations from now. I'd be happy if someone in my current generation would appreciate mine!

It proves turning is in your blood, you can't help it.