PDA

View Full Version : The Joys of Laryngitis

Belinda Barfield
02-24-2011, 7:59 AM
So I've been battling the "crud" since Monday. Went home early that day with a temp hovering just over 102, joint aches, congestion, etc. As usually happens when I have any form of upper respiratory illness, I developed laryngitis. I wasn't up to cooking breakfast this morning and since my SO and I work together I thought I'd just pick up something for him on the way to work.

Me: How much is a McGriddle?

Him: A riddle, what about a riddle?

Me: No a McGriddle.

Him: You want a McGriddle? I'll pick one up for you on the way to work.

Me: No . . . do you want a McGriddle?

Him: Are you stopping for McGriddle's?

Me: If you want one.

Him: (with a very puzzled look) Wonton . . . what about wontons? I thought we were talking about McGriddles!

It's going to be a long day!

Any amusing miscommunication you'd like to share?

Dan Hintz
02-24-2011, 9:22 AM
Try to speak everything as a loud whisper rather than in your true voice... easier on the vocal cords, and easier for people to understand you. Had a few bouts of it myself over the years...

Belinda Barfield
02-24-2011, 9:41 AM
The whisper voice method works well, Dan. In this instance I was trying to communicate from the kitchen to the living room - my fault for even trying!

Belinda Barfield
02-24-2011, 10:22 AM
I failed to mention in my earlier post that this bout of laryngitis bodes well for periods of great celebration in my household this spring. Typically the high pollen season brings on one episode of laryngitis, known as the Festival of Blessed Silence. There is great anticipation on the part of my SO that the timing will be just right for the Festival of Blessed Silence to coincide with the Festival of Just Wash the Windows I Can't Reach and Quit Whining. If this rare convergence of festivals occurs there will be happy consumption of libations and possibly even fireworks displays extending throughout the week.

Joerg Bullmann
02-24-2011, 10:31 AM
While the loud whisper method might help you make yourself understood, it still is very bad indeed for you vocal cords! That's what I was told at least.

Get well soon,
Joerg

Joe Angrisani
02-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Any amusing miscommunication you'd like to share?

There's a few my wife and I have had, but I'm sure I'd violate some TOS if I posted..... :o

Belinda Barfield
02-24-2011, 10:53 AM
While the loud whisper method might help you make yourself understood, it still is very bad indeed for you vocal cords! That's what I was told at least.

Get well soon,
Joerg

Thank you for the get well wishes. I have also been told that total rest of the vocal cords is the best treatment, and that any strain is bad indeed.

Brian Kent
02-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Some friends told me they had some miscommunications, where you meant to say one thing but the words got tangled up.

Like when they were eating breakfast and one of them meant to say,
"Honey dear, would you please pass me some of those delicious corn-flakes",
but what came out was,
"YOU _________, YOU RUINED MY LIFE!!!!!!!"

You know how those words just get tangled on the way out.

Rod Sheridan
02-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Belinda, when I had laryngitis Dianns only comment was how pleasantly quiet the house was:D.

Regards, Rod.

Belinda Barfield
02-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Belinda, when I had laryngitis Dianns only comment was how pleasantly quiet the house was:D.

Regards, Rod.

It would seem that Diann is also familiar with the Festival of Blessed Silence.:D

Lee Schierer
02-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Speak up Belinda we can't hear you You can always use CAPS so we can hear what you are saying better.:D

Jim Rimmer
02-24-2011, 1:37 PM
LOML from time to time combines old clichés and makes interpretation of their meaning interesting:

He drinks like a skunk.
That's the way the cookie bounces.
She's drunk as a fish.

The one that got me in trouble for laughing was once when she was upset with one of the kids repeated misbehaviors and said, "You're dancing on the door now!" To this day I don't know what she was trying to say; maybe your dancing with devil and opportunity only knocks once, but how those two relate is beyond me.

Stephen Tashiro
02-24-2011, 1:50 PM
There have been clowns who communicated very expressively using a horn with a squeeze bulb. I think the squeeze bulb is an essential part of the technique. An air horn probably isn't subtle enough.

Belinda Barfield
02-24-2011, 2:19 PM
LOML from time to time combines old clichés and makes interpretation of their meaning interesting:

He drinks like a skunk.
That's the way the cookie bounces.
She's drunk as a fish.

The one that got me in trouble for laughing was once when she was upset with one of the kids repeated misbehaviors and said, "You're dancing on the door now!" To this day I don't know what she was trying to say; maybe your dancing with devil and opportunity only knocks once, but how those two relate is beyond me.

That's a good one, Jim!

My dad had some hard and fast rules about dating and one was that the boy always had to come in and sit down with the family for the first date, and had to pick me up at the door always - preferably again sitting down with the family. When we were finally allowed to leave daddy would walk us to the door and say, "Y'all be careless now!". I knew he meant "be careFUL", but he never said that. My mom would just roll her eyes.

Belinda Barfield
02-24-2011, 2:20 PM
There have been clowns who communicated very expressively using a horn with a squeeze bulb. I think the squeeze bulb is an essential part of the technique. An air horn probably isn't subtle enough.

All I have is a bicycle bell . . . that probably isn't as effective.

David Weaver
02-24-2011, 2:24 PM
Not unless you want people to look over their shoulder wondering where the bike is.

David Weaver
02-24-2011, 2:27 PM
Thank you for the get well wishes. I have also been told that total rest of the vocal cords is the best treatment, and that any strain is bad indeed.

Maybe, but you know it would be fun to go to a karaoke bar just to see what people do.

Freak them out a little, make them think you're crazy or something.

Dan Hintz
02-24-2011, 2:40 PM
Maybe, but you know it would be fun to go to a karaoke bar just to see what people do.
Don't forget to keep looking at the mic all weird and shaking it, like it's the cause...

Belinda Barfield
02-24-2011, 2:51 PM
You guys have the best ideas! I can trace the mic cord back to make sure it's connected . . . all kinds of fun stuff.

Paul McGaha
02-24-2011, 2:52 PM
Belinda,

What did you say?

David Weaver
02-24-2011, 3:11 PM
You guys have the best ideas! I can trace the mic cord back to make sure it's connected . . . all kinds of fun stuff.

You should type your messages here in a font that's the same color as the background, or very close, so that we know how hard it is to communicate with someone with laryngitis.

:)

Belinda Barfield
02-24-2011, 3:24 PM
So much sympathy . . . I can feel the love . . .:rolleyes:

Dan Hintz
02-24-2011, 6:52 PM
On a night when you get your voice back...

When you trace the cord back to where it's plugged in, throw your hands up like "So there's the problem!", unplug the mic, then proceed to sing into it without a problem. Oh, and make sure the mic is a cordless one, else the joke kinda loses its effectiveness.