PDA

View Full Version : worst bowl so far

David T gray
02-24-2011, 1:16 AM
osage orange failure what could have been done wrong was besides the sanding it ended up so perfect 100% power sanded 120-2k. so i started and finished it with dewaxed shellac first time using it didn't read instructions on the can, stuff starts to dry in 20 secs and by 30 its sticky. got to say though once i got the hang of it the inside is very very good outside looks like it has 100 little lines in the finish if you like wop this will save you about 10 coats and takes about 4 hours total drying time then 3 layers of poly and its done never going back to the constant layer of poly one after another. even with all the imperfections it is the glossiest finish i have ever put on a bowl. so then i preceaded to poly it 3 times well someone came in a thought the smell was bad so they turned on a fan 100000 little pieces of junk in the poly, power sanded it again zzzz at about 800 till it was all off then 1200 then 2000 again zzzzz. ok so then i used wop on the inside and left the bowl sitting strait up and it pooled in the bottom badly so i got mad dumped some bright red dye in the poly and just went at it worked out better then i would have thought it would, its also off center on the bottom ... nothing went right :(

got to say though dewaxed shallac is just so great and the dye worked out well still needs another layer of poly on the inside.

John Keeton
02-24-2011, 6:48 AM
David, when all is said and done, it really turned out pretty good! And, think of all the new experiences you had and what you learned. So, in that respect, perhaps it is the best bowl so far!

BTW, I use shellac on just about every turning.

Bill Bolen
02-24-2011, 12:05 PM
It sure turned out well even being the bowl from Hades. I guess we all have finishing horror stories. I won't tell you about the final high gloss coat on a tall HF that got knocked over and rolled through a pile of shavings...Bill...