PDA

View Full Version : Just used my block plane for the first time ever and couldn't be happier.

keith micinski
02-23-2011, 9:15 PM
So I have never used any handtools in any of my projects before until today. I was trying to refine this curve and in the past I would have tried to do it with my ROS or my oscillating sander. Instead I grabbed my newly tuned up Block plane and it worked like a dream. It also gave me a much better curve then I could have gotten with the ROS. I will never give up my machines but boy there are some things that hand tools do much better and for what ever reason it sure is satisfying.

Jim Koepke
02-23-2011, 9:21 PM
I will never give up my machines but boy there are some things that hand tools do much better and for what ever reason it sure is satisfying.

Give it a few years and you might be saying, "this dang jointer is getting in the way all the time. Think I will sell it and get me a LN #8 to keep the LN #7 company.

jtk

Andrew Gibson
02-23-2011, 9:34 PM
The best tool does not always have a cord... now that you know what a block plane can do wait till you discover the joy of a well tuned smoother. You may never pick up a RAS again. Mine had been sitting collecting dust for a year. ( I might add, now that the RAS is sitting collecting dust, there is much less dust to collect... :))

All that being said there is always room I'm my shop for power tools, as long as there is room... hahaha.

keith micinski
02-23-2011, 9:53 PM
I've been on a week long search for a type 11 Stanley number 4 even though up until a week ago I didn't even know what a #4 was let alone what a type 11 was. I am itching so bad for one I am about to give up trying to find a good deal and just buy the first one I see.

Jim Koepke
02-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Be careful if buying from ebay. Saw a plane listed today where the seller says, "it is probably a type 11."

It wasn't even a type 9.

jtk

Tom Vanzant
02-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Jim,
I saw a plane listed on eBay with incorrect Type references, which could be clarified by the diameter of the depth adjustment nut. I informed him that if the nut was 1", it was type X but if 1.25", it was type Y. He thanked me and added BOTH to the description. It ended up selling for high $$.

Prashun Patel
02-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Nice curve!

I too find my #102 little block plane a great asset for gradual curves. Just long enough to smooth the bumps, just short enough to conform to the larger curve, just sharp enough to require no cleanup after. It's my Goldilocks plane.

john brenton
02-24-2011, 11:08 AM
For what you have above I would have reached for my spokeshave (no, not the kunz). You get a little more control and could get closer to your edges. I think you might want to add one of those to the arsenal next.

Garrett Ellis
02-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Be careful if buying from ebay. Saw a plane listed today where the seller says, "it is probably a type 11."

It wasn't even a type 9.

jtk

Agreed. Don't always trust the sellers descriptions... Of course, the planes with the most/best pictures will usually go for more money, so it's kind of a catch 22.

Make sure you know what you are looking for type-wise; there are plenty of those type study charts around to make it easy for you to narrow down the type by looking at the seller's pictures.